HybridZ

Has anyone re-mounted an L6 in a setback position?

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Has anyone re-mounted an L6 in a setback position? It looks like you can move the eng and tranny back about 4 inches or so back. (1970 240Z) I imagine this would mean a cut drive shaft (unless the differential gets set back the same amount, I have seen in the JTR book that the differential can be moved back so the half-shafts are perpendicular to the differential)

As far as I can tell this would add to the great weight distro and add some more room for a fan and airflow possibly reducing some trouble with cooling at higher speeds and such.

Hard for me to believe this would be worth the effort. Your engine shouldn't need fans at speed nor should it be overheating. Airflow problems are eliminated with an air dam and chin pan. The shifter is going to move back with the engine. Remounting the 70 diff to the correct place (a very worth while mod BTW) does require a drive shaft that is 35 mm longer. So I assume if you remounted the diff, you could move the engine back 35 mm and avoid having to find a longer drive shaft. But of course that will come at the cost of relocated motor and transmission mounts, not to mention cutting a slug out of the exhaust.

But still, I can't believe it will buy much. The weight distribution of a stock Z is pretty balls on as is. Will you even notice a difference in handling with this slight set back? There are a hundred suspension mods that should have a bigger impact. Putting in an aluminum radiator and moving the battery to the back of the car will probably have a bigger impact on weight distribution. Upgrading to an R200 shifts weight farther back yet.

Basically why bother?

The weight distribution goes from 52/48 to 49/51 moving the engine back 4". Been there, done that.

You do have to remove the center hood latch mechanism because you can't get the valve cover off (or on). You also need to fabricate motor and transmission mounts and the left motor mount must be removed when installing or removing headers. You might run into clearance issues with the steering shaft (depends on the header), and you'll probably have to clearance the driver's footwell area under the gas pedal to get the headers to fit.

Is it worth it? Depends how fast you want to go around a corner.