HybridZ

Building a 305...need advice

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I purchased a used but fresh 305 from my brother(it still has hone marks in the cylinders from .030 rebuild). However it has some carbon on the pistons due to the fact that it was in an '86 Caprice that never saw 3,000 rpm.

First question..the carbon comes off fairly easily with a wire brush, but I need to be carefull not to drop it near any vital areas. Should I even worry about it?

Second question..I plan to purchase Trick Flow heads. Went to the website and they have all the info except straight or angle plugs. Am concerned because of posts regarding shorty headers and angle plug head compatibility.

Thanks for all the help.

Jerry

71 2.8z ...soon to be 5.0z!

freshin it up and sell it and take the $$$ and build a good motor ie. 302,327,350,383,400, ect.

this is just my opinion but 305's are junk.

they were never ment for a HP build up.

I presently have a 302 (4" bore 3" stroke) and I love it. revs good and makes great horsepower.

the 305 is kind of an oddball I cant seem to remember but somthing like 3.736" bore and 3.48" stroke (same stroke as a 350ci but very small bore)not my piece of cake. Go for at least the 4.0" bore or more.

" again just my opinion "

Stan

maybe I was too crude on that reply (I didn't mean to be)

but I have tryed to help with build ups on 305's and turned out fair but not what was to be expected.

however a 305 would be a great STARTER MOTOR if you have limited funds...

build it drive it improve it....

hmmm heard that somewhere..... HEHE

Stan

Heads.... Trick Flow actually has a couple of heads - th eones that are really "trick" and then a set of heads that apparently doesn't get talked about much. Super Chevy has used those heads in SEVERAL build ups with terrific success. Since this isn't a 350 I ASSume you're doing this on a budget - consider trying to find out which heads Super Chevy has been using and look at them. These suckers are apparently something like $700 complete - under a grand for sure. Aluminum too :-)

Anyone familier with the heads I'm talking about? Maybe offer some personal experience other than the magazine stuff. I've not heard great things about Twisted Wedge heads - rapid valve guide wear being the big thing.

Will the TrickFlow heads even fit on a 305?

I thought the biggest valves that would clear

the small dia bore of a 305 would be 1.94"

and that the 2.02" used in most performance

heads would hit the cylinder wall. I know

that TrickFlow has repositioned the valves

so maybe they've solved that problem. I would

make sure before spending $900 on them though.

Guest Anonymous

Hmmmm...never thought about the 23 degree heads not fitting the 305. I'm sure the guys at Summit can tell me before I buy them.

Don't worry Stan, I don't ask for advice, then take offense when I get it. This is a budget engine for now. My plan is to build a better sbc later and use the same heads, intake, etc. But you got me thinking maybe that's not the best way.

Still curious about shorty header/spark plug clearance on the Trick Flow 23 degree alumunim heads, specifically.

Thanks, Jerry.

I'VE USED DOUBLE HUMP CAST HEADS WITH ANGLE

PLUGS AND NOW HAVE EDLEBROCK RPM STRAIGHT

ANGLE PLUG HEADS. HAVE BLOCK HUGGER SANDERSONS AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH EITHER

HEADS. JUST MY CHOICE BUT SANDERSONS ARE NICE HEADERS, JUST NOT THAT CHEAP.

GET WITH TONY AT SPEEDTECH RE: HEADERS AND IF YOU CAN COAT THEM. ALSO TONY POSTS ON THIS SITE, TONY!!!! SPEEDTECH: 817-237-1285.

GIVE HIM A CALL IT CANT HURT.

Hi Jerry, I have TrickFlow 23 degree heads on my 327 and I love them. The papers that came with the heads states that they fit all 262 - 400 SBC motors up to 1995. You can call them at (330) 630-1555.

I also have Hooker Block Hugger (ceramic coated) headers and they fit but it is real close on the number 3 and 4 cylinders. Hard to get a wrench on (I've broken two so far) and the plug boots are very close to the pipe. I'm using Moroso Blue Max 8mm wires and it hasn't seemed to hurt the boots yet so maybe it's OK.

If you can aford them I would go with Sanderson headers.

305 is not as bad as people think but the low end power is lacking. I did a build up in the past and was unhappy with the grunt off the line. If you do the 305 do not go with a head that has a large intake runner or the low intake velocity and the small c.i. 305 will have a bad "turbo lag" effect. A smaller runner with a standard size valve are cheaper and work better. My opinion is that the 305 is a budget, daily driver motor. My 350 gives me the gitch pull I have come to appreciate.(lol)

------------------

Drewz