HybridZ

painting an aliminium body

Guest BigWhyteDude

Guest BigWhyteDude

ok so mabe its not automotive related but it is paint and boy related. What is the best prosses to paint aluminum? The parts i am painting are the body sides of one of my paintball gun that i have striped down to bare metal. Should i just buy a paint made for metals and sand befor i paint it or just paint it with a regular paint bomb? :?

When my step-dad painted is airplane this winter he used a few products to prep the aluminum for paint.

First he stripped it down to bare metal....

then he soaped up up an washed it down really good....

then he used and etching solution...

then he used another product to put some kind of coat on before primering it(I cant remember what it was though?)

then he used a nonsanding primer

waited for the primer to set up and then painted it

My step-dad painted airplanes for 10 years before he quit to be an aircraft inspector.

I dont know if this helps but Im sure if you went to a automotive paint store they could help you no problem!

Guy

Guest Zachb55

the stuff i used on the head and timing cover of my engine was an aluminum prep agent. it was basically an etching primer that you brushed on, let sit for 3 minutes (you DO NOT let it dry or youve got problems) and then you wash it off. im not sure if a lot of the products out there are like this or not, but it left a nice yellow film that accepted rattlecan engine paint really well, and it looks awesome!