HybridZ

any harm in running a Catalytic Converter on 260Z

Guest rick458

Guest rick458

if I get the Mandrel bent turbo exhaust systen from MSA

and run a Cat where the resonator lives in the stock systen

would that damp the harsh resonance and would a well tuned

L-26 burn out the cat or no? (heat sheild would be installed over the cat)

if I get the Mandrel bent turbo exhaust systen from MSA

and run a Cat where the resonator lives in the stock systen

would that damp the harsh resonance and would a well tuned

L-26 burn out the cat or no? (heat sheild would be installed over the cat)

What burns out the cat is leaded gasoline. It does help in reducing noise to a certain extent and can only help the atmosphere if installed correctly.

The real danger in installing a catalytic converter is doing so in a car that did not have provisions for one before: you could end up with a fire inside the car from the heat coming up underneath. If your 260Z had a cat, you should be ok, especially with a heat shield.

Davy

Guest greimann

Just to fine tune DavyZ's response. Leaded gas poisons the core so it becomes ineffective as a catylyst. A way too rich mixture will burn out the core, literally melting it and having chunks come out the tail pipe :fmad:

I am also thinking on installing a cat on a 260z, it has Weber down drafts and will not pass emissions in AZ at idle no matter how much I lean it out at idle, under load it passes with flying colors. I was planning on installing an electric smog pump to add air to clean it up more. The Z smog pump was removed way before I got the car.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate any input.

Guest greimann
...will not pass emissions in AZ at idle no matter how much I lean it out at idle' date=' under load it passes with flying colors....

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate any input.[/quote']

What exactly is the test parameter that is not passing? If it is NOx, leaning out is the opposite thing you should do. For high NOx, enrichen the mixture. For high HC, lean it out a bit.

It is on HC. The butterfly covers the transition jet at idle. I have tried to increase the idle speed this opens up the transition jet causing the mixture to be richer yet even with the idle adjustment all of the way in. If the transition jet is covered and the idle screws are out just enough for the car to barely idle it is to rich on the HC reading. I just never found a sweet spot on the adjustment. I am new to AZ and really cannot fine anyone who understands these carbs. And from some of the other Z people I have met so far AZ emissions is hard to pass with all of the stock components in place on older Zs. It is just easier to add the cat and air