HybridZ

R230 Q45 CV axles. Where did you get them shortened?

maichor

I am looking everywhere to get my CV shafts cut and resplined or, to get new ones made. Where did you get yours done? Anyone, anyone? Terry, Owen, Tim? Should I be looking for 300ZXTT shafts. Mine are 28 spline 30.3mm or 1.20 inch diameter. Moser said they might be able to do it. Any other ideas?

You will need the q45 0r the zxtt axles. I had mine made at Moser Engineering in Portland Indiana.(this is where the owner and founder was from)

They are made from the same material as ALL Moser axles. Even the ones that they make for Funny Cars.

The cost was almost 160.00 each, but I dropped them off and picked them up in person.

i had to pay sales tax, but no shipping.

Shortening the existing axle is not possible because the shaft diameter is smaller than the splined ends. If they were to shorten it, you wouldn`t have enough splines making contact to be reliable. It would most likely strip out.

You know... the R230 conversion can be a pretty costly adventure. :shock:

For those that plan to run less than 400 fwhp, it may not be worth the investment.

my cost are as follows,

1)halfshafts 85.00 for the pair(which is a pretty good deal)

2)(new)pair of Moser shortened axles 320.00

3)companion flange adaptors 175.00

4)R230 diff 250.00

5) redrill mustache bar 20.00

TOTAL, $850.00+ fabrication labor and materials,and running all over tracking down bargains.

If I were going to do this swap for someone else, I wouldn`t touch it for a penny less than 1100.00

BTW... I finished my first shaft tonight. It looks really good, I`ll bolt it in tommorow morning and let everyone know how it fits.

True, true. However, here is where I stand so far: :D

$250-Complete rear suspension and subframe from 240sx but using Q45 hubs and bigger J30 vented rotors.

$100-R230 and CV axles.

$320-shortened shafts from Moser

$80-Metal to reinforce after cutting out some of the Z stuff.

-------

$750

Not to bad for a multilink setup if I ever go sub 11's. Yeah right! :lol:

• 7 months later...

Hey, I just scored an R230 diff & axles at the junkyard for my 240z project. What is the difference between the Speedway Engineering shafts vs the Moser units? Aren't the Speedway ones more expensive? If I go with Moser, does anyone know the Moser part# for the shafts so I don't have to send them a drawing of what I want?

Thanks.

[/img]

Hi 280zen

As to your Question of using R230 in 83ZX the anwer is not in the way that 240-280Z guys are doing it because the diff in a ZX is an integral part of the rear suspension so you cant use the later shortnose diffs.

I have had a 200-240SX multi link under my spare car and it would be a lot easier adaptation than what Maichor has done with an early body.

The later S14-15- Skyline rear cage has different upper arms and more upright strut mounting which I think would be more adaptable into 280ZX.

Someone will eventually be inspired enough to have a go. Neil.

Ther are no moser #`s for the axles. I just brought them one to copy from.

They did say that we could get a discount if we have a group buy. I`m not sure how many here are wanting axles, but 156.00 is the normal per unit price.

They may knock off 15.00-20.00 each if we order 8 to 10 pairs.

If anyone is interested, let me know. If we get enough people to buy, I will go over with another axle and set it all up.

Denny

Denny,

I'm all for that. I talked to a guy named mike at the Moser trailer this past Sat at the Strip at Las Vegas during the NHRA National event. He said I would have to send a drawing of what is needed and it would not be a problem. He is the person in charge of this type of custom work. If you already have something set up , thats even better. It would be nice to get the discount. The other option I was going to do is is order through Moderm Motorsports with their companion flange adapters. They charge an add of $310.00 for the moser axles.

I'm not in a hurry to order, so lets see how many people need them and decide.

Thanks,

Errol

"What is the difference between the Speedway Engineering shafts vs the Moser units? Aren't the Speedway ones more expensive? "

Moser tested them all and Speedway units failed at lower levels than Moser pieces (as did Mark Williams/Strange as well), unrivalled quality in Moser. If you're going with an R230, keep the other parts of same quality.

Their are a couple different geometries out their with these adaptors, our own adaptors are minimal thickness and sheared mating pocket to eliminate the weak smaller OEM bolt pattern. In addition we have the critical axle end stops. OE shafts do not respline properly for a perfect set as they don't have adequate OD for proper pitch engagement. Summary, we've nailed the spec's with Moser for use with our adaptors to offer an easy complete package that is very fairly priced when one considers the extra benefits included. We've got 3 sets of our R230 adaptors remaining at present until we do our next machining run.

Hey Maichor

Since you put a complete S13 rear suspension in your Z how much shorter are the drive shafts when R230 is fitted.

Your drive shaft lengths should be different to what others are doing.

Also the type of spline will be different each end as you will still use fixed outer CV whereas others are using same spline and circlip position on both ends.

Keep up the good work. Neil

True' date=' true. However, here is where I stand so far: :D

$250-Complete rear suspension and subframe from 240sx but using Q45 hubs and bigger J30 vented rotors.

$100-R230 and CV axles.

$320-shortened shafts from Moser

$80-Metal to reinforce after cutting out some of the Z stuff.

-------

$750

Not to bad for a multilink setup if I ever go sub 11's. Yeah right! :lol:[/quote']

Maichor, wow! I hadn't realized you'd put a 240SX rear in! Great setup (as you obviously know!), have you got some pictures/links/discussions on this anywhere?

I've admired those for a while and I know others would enjoying seeing more detail. I'm driving a '98 S14 coupe right now as my new interim daily.

I have some pics of the build-up at photos.yahoo.com/maichor75104.

The drive axles are actually longer seeing that the 240SX is much wider than the 240Z stuff I had before. I shortened the the subframe 1" to move the diff off center to pass. side and give me a little fender clearance on my 335's.

The axles do not have different splines on each end and were custom made by Moser by mailing an example and giving them the new length. The reason they do not have to have different splines is that the hubs on the S14, (240SX's) and the Infiniti J30, Q45, and 300ZXtt are all interchangeable by removing 5 bolts and bolting the new ones on. So I am running Q45 hubs which are the largest, I believe same as 300ZXtt. My brakes are J30, which bolt up. I could not get 300ZXtt brakes cheap so that is still an upgrade available. I wish I could give exact length for the axles, but unless you narrow the subframe, yours will be different. Plus, my measurements and other info are buried in my files somewhere since we moved. I promise to do a writeup and give some updated pics, but not till next month. Aslo, you need about a minimum of 3" flare to fit good sized tires. I am running Viper tires and have nearly 5" per side of flare (Velo Rossa kit), but you could fit 275's or 295's with 3-3.5"

As far as discussion, I have replied in some threads on the drivetrain forum, but I haven't given a step by step. Again, soon I promise! :D