HybridZ

Flat Black. Clearcoat?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm planning on painting my 240 flat black. (not leave primered black)

But I know it'll be a pain in the ass to keep clean.

If i clearcoated the flat black, would it still have that "flat" look?

or will it just look grey?

just be careful using a primer for your topcoat you will end up with rust as the primer is porous. I have seen several cars painted flat black primer and then clear coated. It gives the flat a high gloss its a cheap alternative to black topcoat then clear.

Matte(sp?) black is gettin to be popular it seems like.. any body guys around to tell us if there are any matte colors/products out there meant to be used a a topcoat? my hood will be matte but my bodyshop bud was just planin on using a black primer.. ill have to ask him to dig around abit more to see if anything has become availible.

Guest Anonymous

exactly Bluto.

Flat (matte) black.

not just primer.

If the flat black topcoat is stronger and more durable than primer,

i'd be happy to just leave it without a clear coat.

I'm going Old Skool style with the Flat Black.

Just like back in the days when the greasers (lol)

left their lead sleds primered black.

Guest Zachb55

the shop that i got my paint supplies from (a local owned NAPA) sold me some flattener which i used on some trim pieces. unfortunately i had to paint a little more and got the mix different the second time from the first (you just mix the flattener in with the rest of the stuff when mixing the paint (one stage) ) so it came out shiney in the repainted spots, so i just rattlecan flat blacked it and it worked great, i dont really see the difference between the two...

-Zach

Most paint companies do offer a flat black. Get out the color book and look for something you like. The color you want will most likely be in the trim/detail area of the color book. Look for something like 'Bumper Black'

This is a flatter version of the high-quality topcoat that companies make for auto refinish shops. I am sure that PPG has something you could use.

If cost is a concern, go with a single stage, much less expensive. Not only is the paint cheaper, you only have to buy one variety of reducer.