HybridZ

How do you get a spindle off the front a of a 280ZX?

80LS1T

Well I roasted my right front wheel bearing and in the process I roasted my spindle that my rotor and bearings ride on! So now I need to replace the spindle, rotors, and bearings up front.

So how does that spindle come off? I have the bearings and rotors but I dont have the spindle yet because Im not sure if I need a whole strut housing or just a spindle?

Thanks for the help!

Guy

Edit: Maybe I should have posted this in the "Brakes, Wheels, and Suspension" Forum?

I can only answer for the Z series, but I believe they are fabricated the same way for the ZX. Spindle...strut, they in essence all the same on the front. But more acurately, the spindle is welded to the strut tube along the bottom of the spindle's cast (forged?) portion. The practical answer is to find another strut in a salvage yard and replace the whole strut, and put your insert into it.

Just curious, did the bearing races spin on the spindle. I had this happen one time when the bearings locked up, but I was successfull in cutting the inner race off the spindle, and carefully filing the few rough spots that were on the spindle, and putting new bearings on the spindle. Yes, I only drove the car 100 yards after the bearings turned to pea-gravel, but the spindle was still viable.