HybridZ

Anyone know anything about the 360?

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

There is a Ford 360 (5.8L) for sale in my local paper. As far as I know, they were used only in 1967-1974 trucks. It has 69,000 miles and is $350. Has anyone looked into this, or know anything about what this engine is like?

Its part of the FE family of Ford big block engines. In a nutshell, they are quite a bit heavier than the other engines of that time period. The more commonly known motors were the 390 and 427. They are wide and heavy, and IMHO, would be a good bit of trouble to use in a Z chassis considering the other options available.

I saw a 390 block on eBay and doggon that thing is WIDE, I wonder what kind of degree block that is. How about looking at the 351s? I have been wondering about a more recent 5.8L myself. They have a 5.9xx" rod and I think the stroke is 3.5" which is very nice, the 302 once you get into the stroker category you are pretty much stuck with a 5.4" rod although its not terrible.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fordguy57

The 360 is actually a good block to use for a 390 engine (it is the same bare block...). Strong webbing on lower end. But it uses a 352 crank with the 390 bore to get to 360 displacement. Any 360 will convert directly to 390 with pistons, rods, crank from 390. Since all 360's were truck, they are low compression, huge dished pistones, low compression. But the block is a good start for a 390...