HybridZ

V8 guy lost on L6 knowledge

Guest Drewz

Guest Drewz

A situation has come up that a former 240 of mine is going to be coming home again but I have some ???? about some minor engine work. It is a 73 240 with stock engine factory auto with air. It came to me via Arizona seven years ago and shouldn't have sold it. The problem I have is that the top end lost oiling and the cam siezed tight. So I need to do a head swap but have no 240 or 260 heads avail. but have some 280n/a heads. Can the swap ben done or is there a loss of compression too great? Just doesn't bloody fit, Reasons for doing or not doing it please???I am keeping this as a driver close to stock so I can finish my 260 v8 jobby I have in the shed right now. Want to keep it cheap and simple as a turbo engine would be later looked into.The dual carbs ran great and the car has been indoors and tarped since the last time i saw it. All input is appreciated guys!!! :twisted::twisted:

Guest bang847

you can swap any L head if you wanna just get it running.

i put a n47? on a L26 and it runs pretty good...

if you want i can get you a e88 head that has 2 burnt valves..

the shop should bw able to fix that cheaper than a siezed cam..

Guest Drewz

I did pul the cam and polish the journals so that it will spins again but prefer an alternative like a swap to be sure it doesn't go BANG on me.

Guest jt240z

I'd be asking myself, why the cam siezed in the first place. You may have a clogged oil supply hole in the block or head. I had an engine that did this. The only way to fix it was to run a small drill bit through the oil restrictor that supplied oil to the head. There are two of them. One is on the right side of the engine about mid way and the other is near the front timing cover.

Just a thought.

Guest Drewz

The situation was this, the last winter I had it I blew the trans in my truck and needed to drive the 240 for a bit to get to work. I decided to put 5w30 in it since it was soooo cold. A couple weeks went by and it became unseasonably warm and I noticed the oil pressure fluctuate a bit the day before it happened. I figure it was too warm out for that thin of an oil in that motor??? I could be wrong but that was my take anyways......

The N42 and N47 280Z heads (44.6cc) will increase your compression compared to the '73 E88 head (47.8cc). N42 has square exhaust ports so you can use the exhaust manifold you have now. I've heard that notching of the block for valve clearance *may* be required to fit an L28 head (bigger intake and exhaust valves). Maybe something to check.

My head would be an E31 not?? :malebitchslap: It is a 2.4 I thought the E88 was 260?? :roll: I will check the oil galleries when I get it next weekend. It is still in storage until then. If i swapped an injected 77 280 motor into it is it difficult to wire the new engine up? I have a local guy who has a complete fuel inj. motor and harness I might be able to get into cheaply with air filter and computer. Is it too much headache for now though??? :?: Thanks fo rthe help thus far guys I really appreciate it. :D

yank the 240 motor and drop in the 280....

take the distributor, intake, exhaust and fuel pump off the 240 motor and bolt them on to the 280 motor.....they will bolt right up

that is the easiest way to get going cheap and it should run real strong.....

if you could get the FI setup installed you would get better gas milage, but I have a stock 280 with SU carbs, header and a 280ZX distributer on my car and it runs great!!

just my 2cents

good luck

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I got the 280z n/a with injection and a spare auto box too boot. So the injection will take a whole weekend to install and then working bugs out as well???? I am probably going to use the carbs but if some has the step by step on the injection swap please let me know as I will doing this next weekend. :wink::wink::wink: