HybridZ

Has anyone tried using 84-85ZX rims on the rear of a 240?

I'm looking for a cheap alternative to put the widest 24-25" tall tire on the back of my '73, just to run at the track. I know the 84-85ZX N/A rims have the same bolt pattern (4x4.5), are slightly wider than earlier rims (6.5") and have a 30mm offset which would put the tire under the wheel well a little more, but i'm not sure if it would be too much and rub the stock 240 strut tower? I was thinking maybe a 245/50/15 would work (also a little wide for the 6.5 rim..hmm) I'm just trying to squeeze the maximum size rear wheel on by getting it as close to the strut tower without rubbing it and also still drop inside the stock outer fender lip so it would slip under when lauching hard, creating ass drop. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Guest Phil1934

Yes. Backspace is 4.96". Interference with spring is 1/2-3/4". Hopefully I'll get back to you on this later today with a plan, cheap spacers, long shank nuts, and the original Datsun washers, and possibly NAPA studs.

Guest Phil1934

I picked them up with 215 tires a few weeks ago, but it's for the nephew's car and I can never catch him home. Front only hit about 1/4". 6.5" is minimum recommended rim for BFG 235/60 DR so I don't think you can run the sizes you mentioned.

I'm running them. Check my album. I'm just running 215s. I've got coilovers, and in my particular application needed a 1/4" spacer at first. I fixed it so that it works without the spacer, but I run it anyway because I got used to the look of it being closer to the fender :roll:

I get comments on them all the time but I don't think they're special. I just picked them up cheap because they were better than what was on the car when I got it.

Thanks guys. Just looking to put 'em on the rear for dragging so it sounds like it'll work. 225/55/15 works on a 6.5" rim without too much bulge? Sounds good. Hope it wont cretae a problem when i air them down to like 20psi or so. Nion, i cant get to any of your pics. Send me a few if you can...i'd like to see it. Thanks again.