HybridZ

Replaced #6 injector today, so far so good

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Replaced the injector, reset the computer, and went for a nice long drive. So far not one pop or stumble. After driving about 45 miles I pulled the #6 plug and as I thought, it looks just the way it's supposed to now, no more heavy layer of black soot. So finally it's pretty much running perfect, as far as I can tell. The idle still varies a lot, but I haven't readjusted it for a couple days. It always finds it's way back to around 850, though it will sometimes settle anywhere between 750 and 1000. Whatever... I'm not gonna stress it right now as long as it doesn't stay too high.

Another odd problem that started day before yesterday, sometimes when I go to start the car, the starter turns very slowly, like it would if the battery is low. The battery is relatively new, and it doesn't seem to do it at any particular time, say, if the car has been sitting overnight (this morning it turned over fine), or if it's only been sitting for a few minutes (took the car to the car wash, was there no more than 10 mins, went to start it up and it barely kicked over). About 1/2 of the time it will kick over at full strength. It still starts no problem really, it will usually starts up by the 3rd rotation, but now I worry this thing may strand me....

And lastly, the engine has started to leak oil, but it's very hard to tell from where. It's a moderate leak, seems to be centered somewhere around the #1 spark plug/lower radiator hose/alternator or maybe the front seal?? I dunno but it is getting oil all over the spark plug side of the engine, none on the other side though. I checked the bolts on the two cap/covers on the head (one of them is the one where the mechanical fuel pump would go) and they were tight.

So... still chasing problems, but, still getting better every day :)

Guest bastaad525

yeah it may be the valve cover gasket... wouldnt that leak more towards the back? The engine is kinda tilted down towards the back of the car, so the oil flows that way... this leak is definately from the front area of the engine. But I dont rule it out :) would sure be nice if that's what it was... would be something easy to fix. Anyways I'm way ahead of you on the engine wash, that's why I was at the car wash today... washed down the motor... started it up but I didn't see anything after a few minutes... maybe it only happens once the motor gets going? Or is just a really slow leak... I dunno but a lot of oil built up on the motor after a very short time. It's all over the alternator too... that kinda worries me. I'll check all my connections at the starter tommorow.

Guest szlash280z

could be the gasket at the mechanical fuel pump block off plate. My P90A head did not have this port cast closed because of the power steering bracket they mounted to it (the power steering bracket is what closed it off)

Guest bastaad525

I'm gonna go get a new valve cover gasket right now. I did check the two plates on the head, the fuel pump block off, and then the other one that is on the front of the head, I dont know what that one is called. It's really proving to be a pain to figure out exactly where this oil is coming from. It gets all over EVERYTHING on that side of the bay, even all over my battery and firewall!!! Funny thing was, I checked the engine oil level and it is still right where it was the day I picked up the car... I would have guessed it lost a quart by now with how much was all over everything. I washed the engine last night, and am gonna go pick up a new gasket right now, I'll see if I can spot where it's coming from when I get there.

Guest bastaad525

ugh... more bad news for me. I found the source of the oil leak. It appears to be coming out from between the head, and the timing chain cover on the block. There are two 10mm bolts at the front/bottom edge of the head, where it bolts to the cover. The one right next to the distributor was hand tight only :evil::evil::evil: and the one right above where the lower radiator hose goes into the block was tighter, but still a bit loose. Tightened that one about one full turn. Of course, now that oil has been allowed to leak between the head gasket there, no matter how much I tighten it I bet it's going to keep leaking. I confirmed this after a short drive to the auto parts store and back after cleaning the area again, more oil had appeared. Hopefully it has at least slowed the leak down so it wont get all over EVERYTHING :cry: My mechanic suggests that removing the timing chain cover, cleaning all the surfaces and putting some silicone sealant may solve the problem... hopefully, if not I have to replace the whole head gasket :cry: So when i find some time, I'll pull the cover off. Thinking this is gonna be at least 3 or 4 hours work...

Guest szlash280z

LOL, I have the same problem! I have oil seeping out of the front timing chain inspection cover, it got all over the block. I am going to try replacing the gasket and see if that helps me.

Guest bastaad525

I'm more worried that it will necessitate replacing the head gasket :cry::cry::cry: as I said once the oil got on there it may not want to seal anymore. It is definately still leaking even after I tightened down those two bolts on the front of the head. It seems to have slowed a bit, which is good. The starter hasn't acted up all day which is good. Everything else seems to be fine, still no pop or stumble... the car is running great, a lot of fun to drive... just wish I could get these last couple problems taken care of so I could enjoy it all worry free.

Guest lasombra

Bastaard..........

I had this same problem with my 260 and my current 280.......both time it turned out to be a warped timing cover......did a quick mill to level the mating surface and the probelm went away no more leak.........I know you are stoked to get the car running, and if the leak continues and it probably will, you might be better off just pulling the cover and having it milled level, i fought with new gaskets and silicone for months, once the mill was done, held together with a stock gasket, and no leaks.........just trying to help....good luck :D

Guest bastaad525

yeah I already figured on checking the mating surfaces and all that when I pull the cover off. I learned this one the hard way when I had a valve cover get warped, and no matter what I did it would insist on leaking oil too. Thank you for the tip :)

Guest lasombra

No worries.........

You are so far ahead in the game.........I envy you at present, I have L28ET planned, within the next year........

I am in the process of doing suspension, brakes and wheels, first......GC Coil-overs, camber plates, the usual suspension upgrades.....

Brakes from Az Z Car.......

And new 17x7 first........

Motor is being built buy an outside friend of mine.........

Still having a hard-time settling on an EMS for the car.......

Any little bit, I can do to help, and hear about the progress of those who are waaaaaay ahead of me in the game, is music to my ears.........

Best of luck...