HybridZ

WooWoo!

Guest szlash280z

Guest szlash280z

I finally got my turbo engine to fire! Diagnosis? DEAD DISTRIBUTOR!

I bought one as a back up from a guy on Zcar, he didn't know if it still worked or not so he only charged me $10 shipped. I didn't know how to test a dizzy, and since his looked better than mine I used it instead. But that one was completely dead!

I got some info saying that the dizzy causes the ECU to fire the coil at Zcar.com. My coil wasn't working, I looked at the Dizzy. Mudge was helping me with an injector problem I thought I had by telling me how to turn the dizzy by hand to see if the injectors clicked. The dizzy did not cause anything to click, so I figured it must be dead. No problem, just try the other dizzy that came with my engine. but I left that one 120 miles round trip away at my parents house, so I drive up there and got it. It was midnight when I got home, but I just had to test it!

I got clicking and stuff IMMEDIATELY, I even got shocked by my coil! I need new wires bad, sparks were jumping outta those wires like cubans in a boat arriving at florida!

It barely started, and it sounded like crap! so I decided to check the oil to make sure I was getting oil to the turbo. I took the line off and it was bone dry! I thought I cranked it enough to get oil flowing but I didn't. I didn't prime the oil pump when I installed it, I guess I should have. I did prime the filter though. It took quite a while cranking with the remote starter before I got oil flowing. P90A hydraulic head, thats likely why it sounded like shit!

My wife finally came out and complained about the noise and made me quit for the night, it is after midnight and all that.

I think I am going to be sick tomorrow! :lol::lol::lol::D (no work for me!)

Sweet, your lucky you had a backup, and a cheap one at that. I have seen up to $100 for them :shock:

The diz on the 82-83 handles the timing functions that the ECU needs, I forget the pinout but you can test the values somewhat with a DVM or a regular volt meter. Glad it works though!

Guest szlash280z

I actually shouldn't have gotten a backup, since my original was the good distributor. I just thought the one I got for a backup looked better, so I used it first, but if I never got the 2nd Dizzy I would have been driving the car last week!

oh well, I hope I get it running good tomorrow!

You probably have a bad CAS inside the Dizz, mine did that. It would start and run, but when the CAS heated up, it shut off, and I got no spark out of the coil, even with good power there. Thankfully I had one in the 87 turbo dizz I bought for the JWT swap, so I was back up and running in short order.