HybridZ

Snorkel For Radiator ?

Synlubes

I am in the planing stages of making a "snorkel" for my radiator opening. (the radiator will still be mounted in the stock mounting location)

I will be doing some frt end (body) mods to close off alot of the stock air openings.

Questions: If I have a radiator opening of 15" x 25" (ruff), how big will the frt opening of the "snorkel" need to be ?

How does the frt opening (width / height) come into play ? (meaning) How do I figure out how big the opening needs to be ?

I`m thinking that the frt opening could be as wide as the 25" opening for the radiator, but don`t know the height of the opening yet.

And what about the distance of the opening from the ground ?

Doug, I recently replaced my stock valence and chin spoiler with a MSA airdam. I was pretty surprised at my next track day to see temps much higher than normal. I used some 032 aluminum to fill in the hole between the airdam and the radiator support, then used aluminum duct tape to seal all the gaps, and all the holes in the radiator support. I then used some foam and more alum duct tape to seal the radiator to the radiator support. I didn't do anything between the rad sup and the hood, there's a big gap there, but time didn't allow it. WOW! Would you believe a 40 deg reduction in temp at the end of a run? I was hitting 240 before and it barely went to 200 with all the holes sealed. I was plesantly surprised. I can post some pics tomorrow if you'd like.

John

John,

I just did pretty much the same as you (in anticipation of high temps), but did it with 'glass. the rad support to hood gap should seal if the rubber 'strip' is there like is should be. That only leaves a couple of small holes in the rad support.

The line is drawn where the air dam stopped and I added 'glass:

fb6cf0ea.jpg

Tim

John, did you seal all around the radiator support or just the bottom ?

And yes I would like to see your pics !

Tim, I must say you have done some very nice work with your mods !

I really like your grill work !

What I will be doing is closing all grill openings and only have the opening for the snorkel to intake air for the radiator.

There will be 2 small ducts (that I have now) to bring some air into the pass. compartment. (it get`s hot inside in the summer when doing track events)

I must have been on a major caffeine rush when I typed that last post.

What I meant to say was that if you seal the air dam to the radiator support, then the radiator to the radiator support, and all the holes in the radiator support, I don't think you'll need any additional ducting in front of the radiator.

Tim's looks better than mine, my car is rapidly degenerating into a track whore. I'll get some pics up today.

Doug, if you like open track events, you ought to come dowm to CMP sometime. Nice track and well run events.

John

John,

I want to get down to CMP.

I know Mark hits CMP also. I would love to hook up and come down !

It will be next year.

I have Summit Point and VIR within 4 hours from where I`m at here in VA.

Can`t wait for the new track to be finished (The Shenandoah) at Summit Point Motorsports Park next year.