HybridZ

Why is my exhaust doing this? TPS problem?

Guest szlash280z

Figured i should chime in since my Z is popping as well now. Before, i was running 2 1/2" SS 45deg DP to 2 1/2" mandral bent exhaust to Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. Quiet (see video) and no poppong on decel. I just installed a full 3" mandral exhaust with a straight through, 3" in, 3" out muffler, the one from summit pictured below, and she pops and snarls all the way down the rpm range while backing off the throttle. I basically picked this cheap one up to run at the track because they require a muffler but i need to change it out kinda soon because it's a bit to loud for me. Everyone else, excluding wife :D , likes the sound of it but then again, they don't deal with it every day! haha. I'll try and get an audio clip of it this weekend and post what it sounds like. Audio over internet changes the sound a bit but i think you'd get the idea. Here's what's on there right now...

wlk-24215.jpg

Dynomax Race Magnum Bullet Mufflers

Made just for racing.

They may look like Glasspacks, but the Race Magnum Bullet mufflers are made just for racing. Compact and lightweight, the Bullets have a 360 degree welded outer shell and a straight-through, wrap-welded, perf-tube design for maximum flow and minimum power loss.

Guest bastaad525

that's what I keep saying... I think the popping is more or less normal.. just depends on what type of exhaust you have. But if it's accompanied by a rich smell then that's not so normal... I dunno... all my Z's have done it, but as Jersey points out, changes in exhaust can either eliminate it or bring it out. I think any freeflowing, see-thru type muffler is going to make your car pop like this.

Guest szlash280z

I have my 3" exhaust with 3" straight thrugh magnaflow muffler and I can barely hear the popping anymore. it's so much better when you can let off the gas and not be embarrassed by your car sounding like it's making popcorn.

Guest bastaad525

I always thought that sound was kinda cool... even when I was a kid I always associated that sound with big loud musclecars that just HAD to be fast. Oh and of course harley's and stuff :) I dont get at all embarrased when my car does that....