HybridZ

Pics of the $150 rebuilt L28ET + questions...

ratedZ

Hey guys, I posted this at Zcar.com in hopes of getting some info on swapping out a shaved intake from a motor I got from the junk yard. ScottyMIZ has told me that it can be used on my turbo motor but I still had some specific questions that I needed help on. Anyway, here it is...

(cut and paste)

Here's a picture of it

318371_96_full.jpg

More Pictures here (including a set of near perfect junk yard seats):

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ratedz_83zxt

I've got a couple of questions about this motor...

The throttle body looks like the one that Motorsports sells. I looked it up but noticed that it's very identical. I want to use this TB but noticed that they listed it for non turbo motors...can I make this work with my turbo? I don't see why not..maybe someone can verify? The only noticeable difference I see at first glace is that it has an idler screw.

318371_86_full.jpg

Here's the shiny intake manifold...the shaved intake is sooo nice but don't know what to do with all the extra hoses once I get the shaved manifold in...

SWEET! (there's no EGR...is that going to be a problem when it comes time to smog the car???)

318371_98_full.jpg

My current intake...BLEAH!

318371_97_full.jpg

My friend told me that we would have to remove the extra hoses...well that's fine and dandy but how about being able to pass smog??? He just grinned and for some reason that made me feel uneasy lol.

Well, I know some of you guys have done this as I've seen this treatment on a quite a few Z's...please feel free to drop some knowledge as I really want to use the intake and TB on my Z. Thanks guys and hope you like the pics.

Very clean engine!

One thing I notice is the crankcase vent is tied into the manifold? Not good - you do not want to pressurize the crankcase. I would vent it and the valve cover, either with filters or a catch can.

The emission nazis in Colorado haven't noticed my lack of EGR yet (knock on wood.)

My Weber throttle body works fine on a turbo - it's just that you have to make a custom boot to fit the large throttle opening. Also the throttle adjustment is nice, as I got rid of the stock turbo automatic idle. I believe those are the only reasons MSA says you can't use the big throttle for the turbo. It sure works nice, excellent throttle response!

And the lack of hoses, properly terminated, will not result in failing an exhaust test. Should be fine for 49 of the 50 states anyway. Hope you're not in California. ;) Oh wait, now you will have Arnold to take care of things like that. :D

Guest bastaad525

My stock turbo TB has an idle adjustment screw on it... it's just a stop screw which the throttle plate actuator comes to rest against, screw it in, raises the screw, causes the TB plate to come to a rest further open, higher idle, etc. I thought it was kind of odd because I seem to remember reading that there was no idle adjustment on the stock turbo TB. The really odd thing for me is, when I adjust it, the idle changes. If I then drive around for a while, turn the car off and back on, the idle always goes back up to like 900 and stays there!! It's driving me crazy!! I put some locktite on the screw today, it has a locknut on it, but the nut is impossible to get to to tighten it, the screws head is bigger than the nut, which means you can't get a socket on it, and I dont have an actual wrench that small (think it's 6mm or maybe an 8, even if I did it's very hard to get to). As many times as I backed it out (the head faces down by the way, it screws in from the bottom) I never seemed to run out of thread, so I'm assuming that somehow vibration is causing it to work it's way back in/up, which makes NO sense to me. Shouldn't it be working it's way loose and lowering the idle?? So anyways, that's why the loctite, this will settle it once and for all if it is the screw moving, or if it's the ECU telling me that it is not gonna let me change the idle. I had that same big bore TB on my n/a ZX a year ago... pretty sure I held onto it when I went with the SU's... damned if I can find it though.

Can anyone fill me in more on how the turbo works to control idle on an '81?? As far as I can tell the actual idle control devices have been disconnected, there are three canister or diaphram like units on top of the intake manifold that dont have vacuum hoses hooked up to them, I know one of them is the EGR. I"ve checked 10,000 times for vacuum leaks and took care of the few I found... how can the idle still keep adjusting like this and why does it always go up to about 900 and stay there?