HybridZ

cheap 383

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Grump,

What do you think the MAX hp that block could handle going Twin Turbo with forged 7:1 compression and ?? boost?

Thanks.

Dave

cheers.gif

that block has a 4-bolt block and a forged crankshaft, its also set up to use factory hydrolic roller lifters or flat tappet lifters so its a good base to start from, personally I think you can beat this deal with very carefull shopping but not by a great deal. heres a deal where you get lots more parts/heads etc, but not the forged crank

http://www.built4speed.com/html_docs/350_stroked_to_383.htm

Guest Anonymous

the website says, "383 block"?

and, "383 crank"?

there is no such thing.

I would be a bit suspect of a engine builder that said something like that, especially for that price

just me playing devils advocate

Guest timhypo

I believe they have to clearance the bottom of the cylinders for the con rods as the new crank would otherwise cause the rods to hit the block.

Guest 1fastz

that block also has powdered metal lt1 style rods in it.. exspect them to sign off around 500 horses and 6500 rpm and thats the limit where it gets dangerous. anything over those numbers your liveing very dangerously..

and dont let simple stamped sheetmetal parts thrown in make you think its a good deal oil pan timeing chain cover can be had for about 40 bucks for both .

I can sell you guys a 383 that is far superior to that unit. for the same price built with all new parts except for the block < wich you dont want a new block unless its a aftermarker one as you risk core shift and casting cracks with new non heat cycled blocks >

4340 Forged Crankshaft

4340 Connecting Rods

Custom Forged Pistons

Childs and Albert Ring Set Plasma Moly Ring Set

Clevite 77 H Series Racing Bearing

Melling HV Oil Pump

Rotating Assembly Fully Balanced and Engine Blueprinted

Custom ground Camshaft To Match Engine Combination

GM Timing Chain

www.teamextremeracing.com

is my website .

If your thinking about buying this engine combo, don't do it if your car is using the JTR engine mount set up. The harmonic balancer will rub on the cross member. Your going to have to have the engine re-balanced with a smaller harmonic balencer. There seems to be some confusion on what a 383 is. Here is my 2 cents. It consist of a 350 block and a 400 crank with mains resized to fit the 350 block. ( scat sells some nice cranks for this ) Your still going to have some clerance problems. The clerance problems arrise between the rods and the cam, and the rods and the sides of the block.

Guest 1fastz

You wont have to have it rebalanced.. you just go out and buy a ati style 7 inch external balance balancer

OH and guess what I have a 8 inch balancer on my tr conversion.. you simply have to put a 1/8 inch thick washer under the motor mount between it and the crossmember.