HybridZ

Stripping chrome from tail light surrounds?

Guest Slvrhase

Guest Slvrhase

Anyone had any experience with this? Time and weather have take most of the chrome on the surrounds for my '75, now I want to take it all off and just resray silver, for now. I haven't found any tried and true methods for doing this. I have found one suggestion to use hydrochloric acid to strip it, sounds like it might work but, sort of risky though! Surely, someone has done this before?

Guest Slvrhase

So what is everyone doing with their's? Can they be had new at a reasonable price? Or is everybody else's in good condition! I need some ideas/opinions if anyone has some.

If you are talking about the chrome around the tail light panel, then it just comes right off. It's stuck on there like a C channel. I took the chrome strips off very carefully and then repainted the tail light panel. After the paint dried, I just pushed the chrome strips back onto the panel. Some people just pull the strips off and leave it, it looks fine either way in my opinion.

Now if you are talking about the chrome on the tail light itself, then maybe just ruff it up some with some fine grit sand paper and paint it black or some of that chrome spray paint that you can get in the hardware store, I think black might look better though.

!M!

Guest Zed Nugent

I searched on Ebay and got mine , a good set will set you back tho.

as for stripping them I dont think acid is a good idea because it most likely will attack the plastic,( I'm assuming this is not the early metal bezal , If so disregaurd that) they do sell rechroming kits for plastic/metal but they are very expensive, ebay would be cheaper,

I would just sand it with a 3M pad or fine sandpaper and primer and paint them till you can find a good set.

if its metal , powdercoat has a near chrome powder, its close but wont be true chrome. I dont think stainless is conductive so powdercoat wont work then,

hell I'm just babbling now.............

Guest Zachb55

if your talking trim strips from the panels, then i just took mine off and scuffed them up then painted em black, but i painted all of my chrome parts either black or yellow to go with my whole theme...

-Zach

Guest Slvrhase

It's the plastic surround next to the lense. I would just scuff it up and paint it but the chrome is flaking off in several places. It just doesn't look like it would clean up good enough to paint. I thought about plating them myself, but that is more $$ than I want to spend. If I could just find a way to get the chrome off I would live with them for now. I've got another set I may get rechromed later.

Thanks for the help!

i've got a dead set of chrome and some hydrochloric acid in my basement. if you can give me a day or so i'll get back to you on whether it works or not. i don't think the acid will eat the plastic but am not sure of the chrome. otherwise you can go here http://www.datsunrestore.com/catalog.html near the bottom of the page you can get them for a measly $232.50. :-D:roll:

this is what I wrote these folks, and this was their responce... this is who I'll go with when I re do mine....

I just read a post on zcar.con

of Your services. I would like to have the two rear tail-light trim peices on my Datsun 260z re- cromed. The guy that spoke of your company said that you did his same parts for around $60.00 usd including shipping.

Will You please let me know the details on what it would take to have mine done ?

Thank You- Joel Soileau

Hello Joel

The process is simple and the cost is the same although we have a 15.00 S/H charge. that's about it except to say that the turn around time is about 4 weeks at this point.

Chuck Vanderbyl

C.V. Vacuum Platers Inc.

When responding to this e-mail please use the reply to sender feature so your reply

will include the original message. Thank you.

PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS cvplaters@telus.net

Visit our websites at: http://www.cvvacuumplaters.com

http://www.specialtychromedplastics.com or http://www.ptcruisergrill.com