HybridZ

Ticking noise on acceleration

Guest comeandzpa

Guest comeandzpa

I tried a search but couldn't find anything......

My 1981 280ZX N/A was running quite poorly until I took care of some corroded spark plug wires. I did not replace them yet, just knocked out most of the corrosion and un-bent the metal prongs at the cap. It finally started running at full hilt again, but recently I have noticed a new noise. When I accelerate, I can here a subtle ticking noise, sounds like it's coming from the driver side, just a little off-center from the tunnel. It sounds like a subdued version of the sound you got as a kid when you put a baseball card in your bike spokes. Not that loud, but a rapid ticking noise. It only occurs on acceleration, as soon as I let off the throttle it stops. Any thoughts? Thanks

It's an exhaust manifold leak. The tick your hearing is the exhaust leaking out when the cylinder closest to the leak goes through it's exhaust stroke. You need to pull the exhaust manifold clean it and the head well and then replace with a new gasket. Probably not what you wanted to hear. :D

Guest comeandzpa

Is that something I can just let go? I am going to college in 3 days, and I will only be driving it around town on a weekend now and then and during breaks. Should I let it wait till next summer, or is this something that could cause damage quickly?