HybridZ

Friend's 510 280ZX master cylinder weird problem

Hey guys my friend Joel has a 510 with 280ZX 15/16 master cylinder, ZX front brakes, stock rear drums, and a Wilwood brake bias adjuster. We built the lines ourselves and are sure they are clear. Everything is new or rebuilt parts. What happens is, whenever the pedal is pushed in, fluid is sucked from the large rear reservoir and is pushed into the small front reservoir. Basically after a few pumps the rear one is drained and the front one is overflowing. I can't figure out what's up as there are no leaks in the system and i have been able to get fluid out of all the bleeders. All the brake cylinders seem to move freely. Any idea what could be causing this? It's keeping us from being able to finally bleed the brakes for good.

Steve

This sounds like the same problem posted with the Dodge truck a while ago, except yours is the other seal. There are 2 "secondary cup" seals in the master, one for the front and one for the rear brakes. Your fluid is leaking through the one and feeding the fluid into the other reservoir. His was the "primary cup".

I think the Dodge had one reservoir with the dam in the middle, so he didn't notice the fluid level changing.

If you put light steady pressure on the brake pedal, I would imagine it would bleed down slowly???

Jon