HybridZ

finished BW t-5 into 240z turbo swap, now some clutch noise

mobythevan

Swapped the 83 BW t-5 into my 73 240z with L28et engine. Everything went smooth. I used the 225mm clutch, pp, flywheel, throwout sleeve from the 4spd in the 240z and put it all on the t-5. I haven't drove the car yet, but did all of the following while on jackstands. Tranny shifts through all gears just fine. Clutch seems to working great, but...

When letting the pedal out and the clutch starts engaging, putting a load on the tranny, I geat a little vibration in the pedal and it sounds a lot like a throwout bearing going bad. Doesn't make any noise when it sets in neutral with the pedal out, also no noise with the pedal in or while pushing the pedal in. Only letting the pedal out. Its worse when I hold the brakes and put the clutch under a load.

One thing I forgot to do was check the pilot shaft for rust. The tranny had been setting in the junkyard for who knows how long. Also, I installed a new throwout bearing and clutch disc, but did not do anything with the flywheel and pressure plate. The same flywheel and pressure plate was paired with the old clutch disc before the swap, and I ran the car with the 4spd with no noises or anything else unusual. I took care in pressing the throwout bearing on and it doesn't seem to be that.

Opinions so far are that it was probably a warped pressure plate or rusty pilot shaft, damaged pilot bushing. I don't know, I figured I would drive it for a while and see if it acts like a warped pressure plate when taking off. And make sure the clutch is working good, no slip etc. I hate the thought of pulling the tranny right back off, but also hate the thought of breaking the input shaft or something else.

The pilot shaft of the BW t-5 is the same diameter as all datsun manual trannies right? I left the same bushing in that the 4spd used because it only has 100miles on it. I'll go do a search, since that just occurred to me.....

Also, it doesn't make any noise once the pedal is out and the clutch is engaged(in gear or neutral), tires spinning and everything is fine at that point.

And since I forgot to check the pilot shaft, I also forgot to put any grease on it or the bushing. :twak:

Big guess, it could be the pressure plate slightly out of alignment.

But, you know that you should pull the box out and do it all properly, don't you. :twisted: We all at some time or other 'forget' things so don't feel too bad about it. :wink: