HybridZ

VROOOOM!!!! fizzle pop

MWAHAHAHAHAHA

IT"S ALIIIIIIVVVVEEE!!!

sorta.

Well, ive gotten my Z back from the exaust shop, and i just got it to run for more than 10 seconds at once...

I found out a couple of things:

#1. headers with greasy fingerprints cause large amounts of smoke.

2. My alternator works. My fusible links dont.

3. vaccuum leaks suck.(literally)

uh. when a fusible link blows up... it looks pretty cool, almost like a bicycle tube when you pump it up until it explodes. (just on a smaller scale and with a little more smoke)

hey, is it a bad thing if my oil on my dipstick is a bit foamy (has bubbles in it) after the engine has run for a couple of seconds? i cant remember.

Man, this thing is so close to running. all i have to do is replace3 the fusible link, adjust toe, bleed the rear brakes, and install the throttle cable...

Tomorrow it hits the road!( i need to buy a good fire extinguisher methinks)

Joe

Sigh...

I am really having trouble finding the short... i tore into the wiring harness again yesterday...

the short is in my ignition hot circuit. and it is a pretty nasty short. But all the insulation looks good on it. and i couldnt find any point in the harness that i touched where it would be causing a short now.

If anyone is really good at finding shorts... please give me some advice, or an easy method it would be much appreciated. (I understand the wiring system and the components... but i cant figure out how to fully utilize my circuit tester.... :-()

anyhow...

i need to find it before i damage anything...

heh, i fixed my rear brakes today (i think) i had to add a section of brake line in order to make the brake line run away from the exaust heat. I originally used a coupler from my local parts shop... it leaked like a sieve.

So i took an extra rear brake line junction block i had and plugged one of the three brake line ports. i installed that in the place of the coupler, and i dont think that it will leak. just have to bleed them and make sure they dont leak....

short

toe adjustment.

brakes

Throttle cable

Road.

Wish me luck,

Joe

Guest Thurem

For the short, try this: instead of the fusible link install a bulb, like an old headlight bulb. Now this bulb is gonna be powered by the battery and the short is the ground connection, forming a complete circuit, for the bulb to shine brightly. It now follows that if you remove the short the bulb will go out or shine less brightly (if you have circuits that can't be turned off you will also have a ground for the bulb there, albeit with resistance, hence it will shine less brightly when short is removed.)

Now start unplugging the circuits you suspect might be bad one at a time and watch the light, when it dims, or goes out, you found the bubu.

Good luck.

Thure

I think that the short may be my shaved door handle system...

i cant tell if i am getting sufficient fuel pressure... or if my oil pressure safety switch is working.

I am about to go and remove the wiring that i installed. I might as well start with the stuff that has yet to work correctly.

I noticed last time that i started it up that my dash and guages arent working correctly anymore, the tach dives (to 0) when the engine revs up, and my gas guage/voltmeter/e brake light don't come on until the engine has been runnning for a couple of seconds.

and i still need to modify my throttle cable setup a bit. I decided to keep the entire cabe in the engine bay, and use the throttle "swivel" mechanism that is already present in my 280Z. ahhahah i know! pictures. yes coming up!

Joe

hey, would anyone be so kind as to snap a picture of your throttle cable setup.. mine works ok... (and it actually performs the function of changing the throttle profile, less throttle at the beginning of the pedal travel)

I think i know what i am going to do with it tomorrow... but it would be nice to get a couple of ideas... thanks...

still battling with the nasty little bugs.... my electrical problems are driving me nuts.... luckily the engine runs ok..

i posted a more complete update in the non tech forum...

anyhow,

sleep time,

Joe

Guest Bamm Bamm

Joe hows it going good luck with the Z. If possible can we meet up sometime I want to check out your car and get some Ideas for my 260z I live in Brentwood.. Let me know if you need a hand

thanks for the pic barracu.

Man, i am convinced more and more each day that i should have dropped the cash on that lokar throttle cable :-)

Ive changed my throttle 2 times now. this time i think the cable may be bent a bit too much...

if this setup doesn't work perfectly, then i think i will go get the lokar cable, and grab one of my extra gas pedals and assembly.

bamm bamm:

PM me, and we can arrange to hang out.

thanks guys,

Joe

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
hey' date=' is it a bad thing if my oil on my dipstick is a bit foamy (has bubbles in it) after the engine has run for a couple of seconds? i cant remember.

Joe[/quote']

Foamy or a little bubbly?

If it is just a little bit bubbly I am pretty sure this is OK.

"Foamy" is normally an indication of something mixed in with the oil like water :?

just a little bubbley... (is that a word?) Boboli? lol..

i found out yesterday that i burst my passenger side brake line... while i was trying to install a new one peice oil pan gasket... i need to finish it this morning... i had a couple of little technical difficulties with the installation.

I looked at my exhaust and noticed that it had burn residue, then i looked at my brake line and noticed that it was soaked in something, brownish dirty brake fluid.

So, it is time to replace the brake lines. with 2 weeks until i leave... i am starting to sweat.THE CAR WILL GET DONE!!!

exeunt,

Joe