HybridZ

New Guy To Datsuns, Couple V8 Swap Questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey whats up guys, I'm currently looking at a 1975 Datsun 280Z To Do A V8 Swap, only problem is its an automatic and I really would like to do a T-5/T-56/Ect SBC Swap, would it be real hard to switch it, other than hooking everything up and punching a hole though the floor?, also anyone know the weight on a 75 280Z?, Thanks Alot.

-Chris

Guest BigWhyteDude

i dont think the autos had the clutch petal mounts in them but i could be wrong. If they dont you can get a universal petal mount from summitt or jegs. http://www.summitt.com and http://www.jegs.com i think those links are right. or you could just goto a pick and pull junk yard and get the petal asembly and while your at it get a GM 15/16ths ( i think thats right)diameter clutch master cylinder the stock datsun MC will not displace enough fluid to disengage the clutch. Good luck toyah.

Guest Anonymous

All you need to do is look where the clutch pedal goes, If it has a mount for the clutch pedal you are set, if not, get a pedal box from a stick car. It is an easy bolt up swap. Any pedal box from 70-78 will work but I would bet all you need is the pedal and the mounts are already there. Mark

Guest Anonymous

:-D Thanx for the replies that really helps, anyone know what size tires/wheels I can run under the datsun Fenders?, also any guess at a 75 280Z weight?, thanks again I really appreciate it.

-Chris

well even though this question should be in another section my '76 280Z (same as 75) weighed in at 2522lbs.

thats with no carpet in the car, and no spare, and no front bumper..

had me in it though. and im 130lbs.

im not 100% sure if that scale was good, but it seems about right... does it seem about right?. lol

mike

My ’78 280Z started out in life as an automatic. It now has a Doug Nash 5-speed. I retained the original pedal box, but added a clutch pedal from a parts car – a ’72 240Z. The brake pedal pad on automatics is wider than on stick-shifts, and the curvature of the pedal arm is slightly different. The brake pedal from the ’72 240Z – which was a stick-shift – didn’t fit. So, I reused the original brake pedal, but cut off ~1” of the pedal pad from the edge nearest to the clutch pedal. THe resulting arrangement is a bit awkward, but it works, and didn't involve much modification.

A 280Z with no carpet, no spare tire and no front bumper – but otherwise stock – should weigh around 2700-2750 lbs empty, if it still has A/C. ’75-’78 weight is approximately the same (+- 50 lbs at most). It’s hard to really trim down a 280Z unless you start tearing into the sheet metal.