HybridZ

Help me get my tach working

marcus70ZT

240z turbo swap car with stock ECU from 82 280ZXT. i wired up the 280Z tach but can't seem to get it working correctly. it will move slightly, but much less than it should. at idle it barely moves and at around 3000 (judging by engine sound) it is still below 1000, maybe 900 or so. i did wire in the 2.2k resistor, but only after i realized i needed one and tried to fire it a few times with a direct lead. did i possibly blow something by running it without a resistor?

that's what i was afraid of. :oops: the power coming from the (-) side of the coil is pretty stout; at least stout enough to shock me pretty good a few times :shock: , so i'm thinking i did fry something. and yes, i did use the original bullet connector coming off the negative side of the turbo coil as my signal.

anyone have another 280z tach they want to get rid of? i only need the guts since i'm using the 240z housing and faceplate.