HybridZ

auto to manual swap

zero

Hey guys,

I am bidding on a 240z on ebay, that has an automatic transmission, but is otherwise perfect. Considering it is near me in NY I cannot pass this car up. My questions are many. I have done a search, but have not come up with any complete lists and such. Basically I would like to know what transmission is best to swap in, and by best i mean easiest/cheapest. I would also like a list of all the parts you guys think would be necessary for the swap, and basically the process of it. I am very handy, but havent done anything to this order yet. Also, if anyone has done it and has advice or tips, that would be greatly appreciated. If there are any special tools that I will need for this please let me know. Thanks alot for your help guys.

-Will

I've done this swap to 3 of the Z cars I've owned, so I'll try and remember what the heck I did.

I always used the 5 speed from a 77-78 model. There are different ratios available in the 79-83 models, but I can't remember exactly what is better (think it was the %th gear ratio)

Parts you will need:

Clutch slave cylinder

Clutch master cylinder

Metal line to connect the above 2

Flex line at slave cylinder

clutch and brake pedals from a manual car (most of the brackets are already under the dash, just need to switch the pedals around)

shifter

metal plate that goes between engine and trans

flywheel

clutch kit

On some 240's, you have to do some trimming of the shifter hole to get it to work right--can't remember the specifics though

I'm sure there are some little tidbits I've forgotten, but I'll try to update as I remember them.

Overall, it's not a hard job--the last one I did took me about 3 hours total, but in all honesty, I've been wrenching on cars for 20 years, so your results may vary slightly

Good luck,

Jim

The list could be as short as transmission, clutch master and slave cylinders, new pedal box, flywheel and clutch asembly, and finally driveshaft.

Another route could be the entire engine and tranny out of your favorite wrecking yard queen - to include all the above items and: accessories and plumbing, ecu and wiring, perhaps an R-200 rear end.... the skys the limit.

As far as what fits what - any first gen series 4 speed and zx 5 speed tranny will mate to the bell housing. Driveshafts are not always interchangable, so search for threads on that issue as it has been well covered and documented.

...have you thought about swapping in a turbo motor and trans from a ZX?

I have, but the fact is that this is my first car, and I'm not looking to overpower myself and wreck it right away. I gotta concentrate in learning how to drive at first. I also dont have access to an engine hoist at this point so i cant really just drop one in. Thanks for your help and any future help.

Guest SDatsun280

I was also wondering about the different transmissions that can fit in a turbo 81 280zx. Is the z31 tranny compatible with the car without major modification? Thanks

Sdatsun