HybridZ

help... doing struts right now.. quick question...

Guest ON3GO

ok guys im in the middle of sectioning my struts.

i so far grinded it smooth where the stock spring perech was.

now i have my 4 spacers that come with the Modern Motorsports coilover kit. i also have the black washers, and then 4in sleeve.

now it says i have to mount the sleeve 1.5ins from the top of the threaded strut. so the sleves base is 5.5ins down.

now i understand i have to cut the strurt but how much really... i heard from 40mm to 50mm (2inchs). also i understand i weld the metal spacer right where i cut so its nice and straight and smooth, but do i weld the sleeve to the spacer too? do i free flot it? do i weld the sleeve on top only?

if i weld it on the top i know i have to put the spring perches on the sleeve before hand....

any help would be good, dont have alot of time to do it..

thanks.

Your query has not gone un-noticed, but I may not be able to answer your question. You ask about how much to section the tube by? This depends on the length of the cartridge being placed into the tube. I determined this by inserting the cartridge into the tube, and measuring how much the cartridge slides up and down the tube with the gland nut screwed onto the tube all the way down with the exception of perhaps a couple of turns of the nut (to allow a good tight fit when you are finished). If the insert has 2" of movement up and down the tube (again, with the nut on), then this is the length of the section that must be removed (keeping in mind the width of the cut if sawn).

I sectioned my struts from scratch, so I have no idea what is meant by your "spacer" other than perhaps a plug that I placed in the bottom of the rear tubes to push the insert up higher in the tube. I've not seen this kit or its instructions, so I hope this helps whilst you await another reply.

the spacer im talking about is alittle metal part that goes around the strut on the outside.... i thought it goes on the bottom of the sleeve..

so ill just measure and see if that works.

i got everything from Ross if that helps.

thanks...

mike

If I understand this, then the spacer is used to support the threaded tube. When I did mine, I sectioned the strut tube up high, so that the threaded tube (which ultimately supports the weight of the car) support, or the "spacer" as you call it (I just used a section of Sch40 pipe about 3/8" thick), is below the section that was welded together. This way all the weight of the car is on an otherwise, unmodified, or un-cut portion of the strut tube. Note: I know some of these strut tubes are made so that the upper portion steps down in thickness near the very top, so you may want to look inside the tube to find this step prior to cutting to avoid welding the two different gauges (or the thinner part of the tube) of metal together.

What are you defining as "sleeve"? (I assume you are NOT making reference to the threaded tube).

ya the threaded tube is what i call a sleeve.. thats what i was told it was called.

so far all i did was smooth the strut out.... i have a pipe cutter and i measured the front and i need to take out 1.5 inchs..

mike

Good, then threaded tube simply slips onto the strut tube until it rests on top of the ring with was welded at an appropriate height on the strut tube. I did not weld my threaded tube to the strut tube (but mine was aluminum) and wouldn't suggest it even if it were made of steel. If your tube happens to fit rather loosely over the strut tube, you can weld some tiny knobs in a 3 or 4 point pattern at the top and bottom area of the strut tube where the threaded tube rides. This will allow the tube to stay in place without any side movements.

Here is a scan of the Ground Control instructions. Sorry for the image size I don't have any photo editing software on my poor excuse of a home computer. I know the quality sucks as well but it's a scan of a bad photo copy.

coilover.jpg

Ground Control recommends sectioning the strut below the new spring perch so that you can leave a full bead and not grind it smooth. On their system they provide you with an O ring to keep the threaded sleeve snug. Hope this helps.

well i knew i wasnt comfy doing this.. i cut too much off now i have a strut insert longer then the strut tube.. :(

now i either have to fix it some how or buy a new one which i dont have time for because i leave in 1 month! and i gotta bring the car to alex for the motor!!!!!!

DAMNIT