HybridZ

personal dyno

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Anyone ever seen or used a product like this:

http://www.charm.net/~mchaney/roaddyno/index.html

It sounds like a great product, it's inexpensive ($149) and should work great. I read all about how it works and it sounds very complex yet simple. I think I am going to get one since there is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, I am just wondering if there is any product like this with more customer experience behind it and maybe a trusted name brand.

Guest greimann

All this device is doing is recording the change in RPM over time, and then calculating acceleration based on gear ratios and tire diameter that you enter. Then, based on vehicle weight, the acceleration is calculated into horsepower. Don't assume that it can read spark intensity and somehow figure out how much power the engine is producing. If all of the vehicle data is entered accurately, I suppose you could assume that it will give you reasonable answers.

The G-tech pro devices actually have an accelerometers in them and can read acceleration directly. All you have have to enter is vehicle weight. They are produced by a reputable company and don't look like a home made kit from Radio Shack.

http://www.gtechpro.com/

I have a roaddyno and I must say that it is fun. You can get reasonable repeatability with it and you can use it for checking horspower gains after you changed something. I have my doubts about its accuracy though. It all depents on how accurate you can input the variables. Stuff like gear ratio and tire size is no problem but how much does your car weigh exactly. That is with you in it, gas, tools, junk,stereo, etc...

It does make nice graphs. I did my alfa romeo 164 2 litre twinspark engine and compared the graph with a proffesional dyno. They looked 99% similar. This alone would make it worth the money in my opinion.

Xander

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA
Don't assume that it can read spark intensity and somehow figure out how much power the engine is producing.

Right, it calculates your acceleration based on the rate of sparks.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

The GTechPro is about the same price and seems to have a better method of calculating, assuming that it is actually getting an accurate G-force rating. I am not Mr Super Physics man, but I would think that something just sitting there and not firmly mounted would not be as accurate as it will move due to the forces. I do like the idea of real-time specs that the road dyno does not appear to have. And boy, do those G-Techs look spiffy! :wink:

Hmm, dont see any indication that either G-Tech unit can produce power output graphs though.

Edit: Oops, no installation does not mean no connection. Looks like it suction cups onto your glass.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Rednax,

How was doing business with the company? Prompt shipping? Good communication? I am just wondering if I would be likely to have trouble getting my money back if (for some reason) I send it back.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

oh, now here is another one:

http://www.mrdyno.com/

Best of both worlds?

Looks like a combined design of the Gtech pro inexpensive model and the Road Dyno.

Grr, but this one doesnt have any way to even attempt to measure the RPM. (No good for automatic transmissions) :(

I got mine from this place:

http://www.microsmith.co.uk/perf.htm

I really don't know anything about there service apart from the shipping which was fast. I got it from this place because they are based in the UK. This means I don't have to pay import taxes on it. (european union).

You should also keep in mind that the Gtech produces results on the spot while the road dyno needs to be hooked up to a computer and the data downloaded and stuff. A laptop would work ofcours but thats expensive.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Ya, I did notice that the GTech does on the spot, but as far as I can tell it just shows current HP or peak and doesnt have any way to graph unless you get the more expensive one. And since I already have a laptop the Road Dyno looks better. The Road Dyno looks like it will give more accurate results for auto transmissions than anything else. I think I'm gettin me a Road Dyno! :-D

• 2 months later...

Summit has a deal right now for the Gtech (non-competition one). Reg 139 now 99. I'm thinking of getting one. Can anyone that has one tell me a lil about your experiences with it, and if its worth it...