HybridZ

need some expert advice!

I have thought of a lot of things to do with my z. Ive looked into installing a 72 hemi 426, 77 ford 302, 73' dodge 318 rebuilt as a 360. But now that it has come down to it I want my favorite beast under the hood...CHEVY POWER! I love my suburban. Stock 502 under the hood. My latest plan is to put a small block 400 with 400 turbo trans. I am not positive yet but I think I am going with the sonoma blazer axels I have, unless I can find something 3/4 ton. Yes 4X4!. 4-6" lift kit. All under my little old 240z. I own three 240z's. One is completly original, one is my sports car and the other is the body sitting in my back yard for parts. The parts body is what I am thinking of using. My questions are along the lines of what am I looking at. The blazer body is complete. I am thinking of tubing frame for the underside and the blazer frame moded to it. THe engine is the same as the 350 so I will need the engine mount kit. What about the transfer case on the tranny or how the tranny mounts to the frame for that matter. I really need to sit down and look at the two. Does anybody know what I am getting myself into? Advise wanted.

Guest Anonymous

Personally I'd just section the blazer until the wheelbase is the same as the Z and just set the Z shell onto the frame (use like chevy body mounts from a truck to cushion it) and leave all the truck running gear (can't believe I'm even saying that on a Z, sorry) intact and then sort out the attachment and what falls out where, I'm sure your basically going to have to cut the floor of the datsun out, because of the transfer box lever and where its going to be coming from.

My reasoning is, if you intend to 4wd the car the twisting motion using the datsun's frame will probably leave the windshield out on the trail sometime. Just an opinion, but its not a very sturdy platform for 4WD offroading, especially if off-camber bolder scaling is in its future (I know thats extreme for many, but hey some people do it).

Oh well, thats my take on it, I can say for sure it would be way less work, of that I can almost be certain. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone