HybridZ

Can I get a fast answer to two questions?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

going to work in a few minutes, was hoping to get some quick replies before I gotta go.

1. Has anyone here ever used "Restore" engine oil treatment before, or no someone who has. This is the stuff that claims if you put it in a motor with over 40,000 miles it will help seal the rings more to keep the compression at near new levels. I bought some of this for my turbo motor out of desperation when I saw it start smoking today... it seems to have lessened the smoke some but I'm not sure.

2. Is it true that you can raise the fuel pressure at the injectors by clamping down on the fuel return line, and thus richen the mixture, in a turbo EFI system? How much can the fuel pressure possibly be raised by this method, if the method works at all, and how much should/can you clamp down (in other words how much to lessen the diameter of the hose)?

Guest bastaad525

Yo2001 why aren't you on AIM :( was gonna ask you some questions but anyways now I gotta go to work... thx for the tip though I'm gonna clamp the line hopefully it gets rid of the little ping I got now.

1) unfortunately it's hardly ever that easy (or cheap)

2)yes, resticting the fuel return line will increase fuel pressure. But it's not a good idea and will be inconsistent. If you want higher fuel pressure, you adjust it with the pressure regulator, if yours is stock, buy an adjustable one. There are previous post discussing rising rate fuel pressure regulators (RRFPR), they increase fuel pressure during boost by restricting the fuel return line. Can work, but not the best way of getting more fuel. you can find more details by doing a search in the fuel section.

The problem with clamping the return hose is that now there is very little fuel flowing through the pump and fuel rail when idling, and cruising. The fuel will heat up in the fuel rail and possibly cause vapor lock. Most fuel pumps are lubricated and cooled by the fuel going throught them. If you are just providing pressure, and not much flow, you could damage your fuel pump in the long run.

I'd do it the correct way and pick up an adjustable FPR.

Pete

Guest bastaad525

well... for the Restore stuff, I put it yesterday and have put about 50 miles on the car, and it definately is smoking much less then when we first started the car after putting the head back on. I dont know if that's an indicator that the stuff is working or of something else. One Z mechanic I talked to yesterday swears by the stuff (and to my surprise he doesn't sell it, so I dont think he's just saying it's good to make money). He says he's had customers with tired engines and uneven compression, put that stuff in and it usually makes a big difference, at least in making the cylinders much more even, and in raising the compression overall. *shrug* I dont know I've always been anti-oil additive and have always thought that all of them are just BS. Either way it doesn't matter because the car IS still smoking... so it didn't accomplish what I'd used it for.

About clamping the fuel line, thanks for all the feedback here... I actually did try this last night but was hesitant and also worried that it could eventually damage the fuel pump, so I thought better of it and took the clamp off. I agree an RRFPR is the way to go (well sorta... SDS it ain't :wink: ) but I just dont want to spend any more $$$ until I know if the engine is a waste or not, and until I decide just what I'm going to do with the car. I only wanted to try clamping the fuel line to get rid of the ping that had arose from putting a jumper on the TPS connector (making it stay in the closed position) which apparently caused it to cut out fuel at higher RPMS. In turn, I only put the jumper on the TPS connection to try to solve the problem of the car running erratically and misfiring whenever the TPS would go open (which worked, the car ran much better with the jumper installed). Anyways... I decided to try approaching the problem from a different angle, and decided to just hook the TPS back up, and install my MSD 6A. This solution seems to have worked, though it doesn't run as well as it did with the jumper installed, the misfire and erratic running when the TPS opens is much much less apparent, and now I can rev the engine and there is no ping anymore. I know it's sort of a bandaid, as I still haven't solved the underlying problem... but, at least it's that much nicer of a drive for now, til I can figure everything out.