HybridZ

Need help identifying my ECU.

Guest JAMIE T

Guys, I just picked up my L28ET from a guy who sells a bunch of this stuff. I got the harness, AFM, ECU, and the complete engine, plus an assortment of heat sheilds, and assorted BS. The ECU looks like a junk yard unit, and I wanted to make sure it is in fact a turbo ECU.

The yellow label has the following numbers.

A18-602 043

and

1X21

This is SUPPOSED to be from a '82 ZXT.

Also, the engine does not have the distributer. He is supposed to be shipping it to me. How can I determine if I'm getting the correct part? I know the '81 and '82-'83 parts are differant. What should I look for on the engine to determine if IT is in fact a '82 engine?

I got this stuff from "H1Shutterbug" off the ZCar.com forum. I paid him in full back in January, I am just now getting my stuff. Take that for what it is worth.

This is the tag that was on my extra ecu.

http://viewyachts.com/chris/yellowz/wireecu/DSCN0077.JPG

It was from an '81 turbo, it works (I checked it).

The later distributor has a wire coming out of it and is much larger than the '81 unit. The '81 is essentially a shaft connected to the rotor arm, no timing unit, no electronics.

Thanks guys. The ECU IS green. The tag does NOT designate L28 though. Nothing is written in that slot. Please, if anyone has numbers documented, post'em here. Before this deal gets sour on me, I want to be able to make sure I get the right parts from this guy.

75-78 ecu is only one big molex plug port

my turbo ecus have three molex ports

the easiest way to find out is to find someone with a zxt and swap ecus

and see if it fires up, if it wont even plug in, its wrong. 81-83 zxt all have same molex ports.

No one in my area has a ZXT, or swap. The ECU does have 3 molex connectors on it. Someone has to have identification numbers on these things! FL327, can you check the numbers on all of your ECU's? Write'm down and post'em. Maybe we can provide a service to other Zcar turbo swappers by posting all the ECU info we can wrangle.

here are two i have with me, others are in storage

83zxt 5speed ecu

A 18-601 042 stamped 2705

81zxt auto

A18-000-040k stamped 1125 it is green and has a nissan remanufactured ecu sticker on it 8)

ill have another one for you later, its still in the car.

Guest bastaad525

I"m 99% positive that only the turbo ECU's have three plug ports on them, my '81 N/A ZX only had one long port, as have all N/A cars I've seen that I've noticed the ECU on. My turbo ECU also has 3 connectors on it. From what I understand, all three years of turbo ECU should be compatible. For instance, I'm running an '82 ecu with an '82 harness, on an '81 motor with '81 distributor (CAS mounted on the crank pulley). I have a friend who's running an '81 ECU with '83 distributor... so dont worry too much about the year of the ECU. I think the only thing that MIGHT matter for compatibility is that the wiring harness be the same year but honestly I even doubt that... I also know that you dont want an '81 wiring harness, apparently they are much more complex than '82-83.

Bastaad, thanks for the help. I'm pretty sure the harness is of '82 descent. It is real simple looking. Also, there is nothing near or around the crank pulley, so, I'm pretty convinced it IS an '82 engine. Now, I just need to make sure he sends me the correct distributer. I just cut the "fat"(AC comp., PS unit, etc...

This engine is from an automatic, so it has the oil cooler fittings, but he forgot the lines and cooler. I'm definatly going to need a spacer on the turbo flange to fit the compressor I got.

Guest bastaad525

the most easily spottable sign of an '81 engine is that it has a thin toothed gear mounted behind the crank pulley. One thing you may want to do, if indeed it is an auto engine... there should be a vacuum hose that goes from the bottom of the throttle body to the intake manifold. This connection keeps your throttle open briefly between shifts, from what I understand it's to keep the revs up while the auto trans is shifting. If your switching to a manual trans this can be problematic though as the revs stay up between shifts and will cause your shifts to be rough when you re-engage the clutch. If you have this problem just disconnect the hose and be sure to block both ports as leaving either open will result in a vacuum leak.

• 3 weeks later...