HybridZ

Adult perspective on the 300ZX or HybridZ...

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

Considering the Zcar.com seems to be filled with immature people, I decided to go to the wise adults for advice. I am stuck between a Z32 (N/A Used 90's 300ZX) or a Hybridz. Which one would be more reliable? More fun to Drive? Which one is better fuel economy wise? In other words, which one would you buy and why?

So in other words, what kind of Hybridz do you currently have and would you trade it for a Z32 if you could. Also, how much did your vehicle cost compared to a N/A Z32. Thanks guys!

I thought you used to have a V8Z? IMO your question is too openended. Fuel economy, reliablity and comfort are all what you make them, especially in a hybrid car, simply build your engine, suspension, interior accrodingly. Out of the box the 300zx is a much more modern, comfortable car, but personally I am not a fan of them, and if you are planning on buying a NA 300zx a v8 hybridz will easily walk it. That said if budget/time and skills are lacking I would buy the 300zx.

Sir, I don't have a hybrid. I am currently building an 88 with tricked out heads and exhaust, but I wouldn't trade my car for a 90 N/A. It would have to be twin turbo. I haven't seen a lot of after market parts for an N/A besides headers and exhaust. But on the other hand I don't look for parts for an Z32 either. :rockon:

That's my 2 cents.

well i have a hybridz now, and i owned a Z32..

the Z32 is still my fav car, its a awesome car. hanldes awesome, LOOKS the best!!!!!!!! i love the interior, and i love the way the motor sounds Z(N/A's sound better then TT's.)

if your lacking skills or dont have the time buy the Z32, you wont be un-happy wuth the car.

just watch out parts are alot of money and NOBODY wants to work on them.. so get ready to learn!

mike

Guest Pegasus76

yes, I do have a Hybridz but some problems have erupted with the project and I must sell it. Just trying to see what would be a better deal in the end. I, for one, love the Datsuns. But reliability is a big deal at the moment.

Here's my thoughts on the matter:

300Z -

More a modern GT car

more comfiortable

More amenities (cruise, climate, pw, pl, ps, etc.)

More easily serviced at chain stores

Modern good looks that will leave you smiling.

But...

Insurance will probably be higher

you're one of a million examples

Might be too complex to fix yourself easily

Hybrid -

More a "sports car"

Less comfortable, more hardcore

Dirt-simple in the early cars

Parts easier to come by at chain stores

Classic good looks that will leave you smiling.

But....

more difficult to insure for proper value with some agents

Less comfortable for a daily commute

Trim bits becoming less available

Either one will leave you smiling, but a Hybrid will put a demonic grin on your face that the 300 will only dream about. Are you passionate enough to enjoy the compromise of a HybridZ? Can you responsibly handle the power? Are you willing to sacrifice some creature comforts for a higher level of performance? Do you like to tinker with mechanical bits?

Were I in your position, I would not look at the benefits of each car, but at the negative points. What bad points would, over time, drive you crazy? Whichever car bugs you the least is the one that you'd probably be happiest with.

Just my .02.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I agree, this question is kind of like asking "will I like pizza or burritos more". There really isnt anyone that can answer this question for you, all they can do is tell you their own answer to the question.

If you are planning to just buy a 300ZX or an already build HybridZ and dont plan to do any modifications then simply look at them comparatively as you would with any two other cars. (which features, etc, appeal to you).

Fuel economy is going to be negligible if the engine is built right and you keep your foot out of the floor.

Reliability is purely a factor of maintenance and driving style. If you take care of the car, it will take care of you.

If you plan to get into HybridZ's and plan to do significant modification or build it yourself then you can make an old Z into whatever you want. I, for one, have two classic vehicles (My Z and my Truck) that I plan to work on extensively to incorporate many, if not all, of the comforts of any current model vehicle.

Guest Pegasus76

I love to work on cars and fixing parts when they fail. However, I am just concerned with my "time" issue as well as "traveling" issues. I would love to get a hybridz, they have captured my heart and as of now Datsuns and the Nissan sports cars are the only cars that seem to tickle my tastebuds. However, I am just afraid that if something goes wrong with the Datsun and I no longer have time to fix it. Then local mechanics will turn my vehicle down because they don't know what the hell is wrong with it. I would love to build my own, but that would require time and time isn't something I have at the moment :( I dunno, thanks for the opinions though! I appreciate it.

hahahah, that's tempting :) I haven't heard to much about v8 kits for the Z32. How much would it run?

[mexican accent] Kit? We don't need no stinkin' kit [/mexican accent]

Make one. It's been done, but I don't recall who. Make some measurements, get some parts, make some more measurements, make some parts, drop it in, make some measurements, pull it out, make some more parts, drop it in again, hook it up, fire it up and drive. :D