HybridZ

blaster coil on stock distributor - mistake?

Guest tom sixbey

Guest tom sixbey

have i messed up by putting a blaster coil on a stock 240z points distributor? everything seems to be running fine - and i have a new ballast resistor. - so far everything is ok, but i have noticed a little bit of burning on the cap points and the rotor. I checked the condensor and it is OK, and well grounded...

Using a blaster coil, or any high output coil, with the ballast resistor basically turns the coil into any over the counter coil because the resistor limits the power the coil receives, except during start up where the resistor is bypassed and the coil gets all 12V, depending on the condition of your charging system. Because of the bypass you will see that the points may not last as long due to the start up voltage that it will be seeing now.

It should help with start up, but thats about all it will help while still using the resistor, which is highly recommended while using a points/breaker setup.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

When I installed my blaster coil it seemed to make a significant difference in performance. (Of course I also changed the spark plugs that looked like they hadnt been changed for a few trips around the world) Now, the engine in my Z is actually from an 81 280ZX so I am not sure if that means that my distributor is any different.

What type of distributor should this coil be used with? (I am not very familiar with distributors in general. I thought that there was just points and HEI) :oops:

I had significant improvement when adding the Blaster coil to my stock distributor. The ballast resistor does reduce input voltage, but the performance coil still puts out more output voltage than the OEM coil. Switch to electronic ignition as well, you will NOT regret it.

Guest tom sixbey

i'm planning on it right away! - i've got to do something.. for some reason the points in my distributor cap keep burning - i just dont understand. - i have to refile my cap points every other week!

The motor in my 240 is an l28 and I have the coil and complete dist. as well. Isn't it as easy as pos. to pos. and neg. to neg. or is the an external ign. module or other pieces that are needed????? I want to fire this thing up in the next couple days so I am looking for any help possible on this one. I will check the ign. system layout in the chilton and Hayes tonight to see if it is that simple or not...

I put the Crane XR3000 system with the Blaster coil and no balast resistor (bypassed) . It was very easy to do and relatively cheap. The performance of the car is awesome with it in.

And the best part is now I dont have to reset the points every week.

A couple of cautions though. If you use a blaster coil dont use the XR700 ignition set. Its only for use with the balast resistor. so buy the XR3000.

Also if you buy the "Regular" blaster coil (IE not epoxy sealed) make sure you mount the coil up and down ( not sideways). The MSD coil is not sealed and the fluid inside will leak out and the coil will be ruined (NO spark). Takes about 2000 miles or 2 months (whichever comes first) for this happen.

Guest RunninOnEmpty

I installed the Crane XR3000 last week because my stock ZX had excessive air gap (.040" - .050") and would not start with warm engine.

The installation was a no brainer, 2 wires to the coil, a ground wire, and a molex plug-in for the LED/Sensor to the Crane Ign. Module.

The car started on the first try, then I set the timing. Got over 500 miles on it now. The performance is very noticeably improved and engine starts first try every time, hot or cold.

The part number I used was 3000-0292 which I ordered direct from Crane, free shipping and arrived in 1 1/2 days. I highly recommend this upgrade. BTW, I'm using it with a leaky stock coil which I'll replace as soon as I have the $$.

John

I've been reading in the catalogs that you need a different coil for the EI engines. Can I assume that my 78 280Z with F.I. has EI? I assume there's an EI box behind the kickpanel., but I've never seen it ( too afraid to look in case them old wires break. )

In the case of EI, what would you look for, basically?

thx.