HybridZ

what year 5 speed is good for a 78

innerware

Hey there, I finally have a few bucks to spend and I wanted to replace my clutch. While at it I figured I would replace my 4 speed with a 5 speed. Sounds good right? Anyway, should I just get a 78 5 speed to replace it with or a later zx 5 speed? They all bolt up with no mods right? But I thougt the later ones had a better gear ratio. If the year doesn't matter from say 77 to 81 then maybe it will give me better flexability in finding one. What does everyone think?

Thanks as always to the best forum in the world.

Kyle

The ratios are different through the years, depends if you are keeping your stock rear end, the type of driving you plan on doing etc. Up through 81 I believe should give you about the same gearing as you have through the first 4 with an overdrive 5th with your stock rear end. Late 81+ will have wider and higher gears 1-4th and a higer 5th if I remember right, costing you some acceleration. This is all off the top of my head and I might be confused :) There are some sites that have the ratios of the different transmissions available but don't have the links at the moment. Any that bolt to an L engine should fit. You probably will have to cut some metal out of the trans tunnel to allow the shifter to get to 5th.

Lance

If you do run into the shifter hitting the trans tunnel once you have the 5 speed in, don't cut the metal. Put the 4 speed shifter in the 5 speed and it will work fine. I had to do this when putting an '82 tranny in my '74. Bolt in afair. You shouldn't have a problem with this though.

The earlier 5 speed has wider gear spacing. The ZX's have taller, closer 1st thru 4th, and have reverse lockout. I do autox and some track days and POC events, and I like the ZX tranny.

Some drag racers like the wide spacing, I never really understood why though. I would figure you want the gear spacing as close as possible, then get a diff that keeps the rpm's "on the pipe" or in boost through the whole run.

It must have something to do with getting through the 1/4 with less shifts. Shifting does take time.

Jon