HybridZ

problems with ZXT need a little help semi long

Guest ZmeFly

I've got a 1983 280zxturbo. First off it idles a little jumpy. At start up its right in the stoich area, once warmed up it stays in the rich. Sometimes its steady but when it does act up it sounds like its missing and the a/f gauge will go lean then really rich as to compensate for the lean. Now also while at idle if i gas it a bit it will clear up slightly then start the process again.

While driving sometimes up to 2000 rpms it'll stumble and also sometimes as I cross the point of atmosperic pressure and boost it'll stumble too. When it stumbles the a/f gauge shows it goes lean it and then it will pick back up. With WOT it stays almost rich to pretty rich all the way up to 6000 rpm.

This all started when my car just died one day. I found out it was the CHTS, i replaced that and the o2 sensor, checked everything as best I could. TPS is set properly, timing is good, fuel pressure is good, I have good spark at the coil but it seems weak at the plugs.

The battery seems to be holding a good charge though my alternator isnt putting out much when everything is on. During the day it reads a good 14.2 on my turbo timer, nice fuction that is damn accurate. At night with lights, ac or heater and the radio and so on its only reading 12.2 to 12.6 at idle.

When driving normally it will only max out at 13.7.

Ive done a lot of reading in the archives, I see a lot about the charging system probably not being up to snuff or the battery. If the battery is good could it be my weak alternator causing all of this or should I look elsewhere?

I plan on upgrading to the 90 maxima 90 amp alternator. Will this help or solve my problems or am i looking in the wrong place?

During my first problem i checked everything I could, and cleaned all grounds and connectors am I missing somthing. Please help!

what kind of accesories and add ons do you run on the car that are not stock? electrical i mean.

if the system isnt getting full voltage and is pretty old, chances are grounds are dirty and connectors as well, which means it is more dependant on having a good charging system in order to run right.

sounds like battery is weak, since the alt will try to charge.

may want to have battery checked out, most auto parts stores do this for free.

i had numerous problems with my battery, and finally went to an optima dry cell battery, havent had an issue with it yet.

I also had some chargine issues due to dirty fusible links

when it took a dump on me. turns out that the afm needed a small adjustment, but whats strange is that i had to enrichen it for it to smoothe out.

so its still rich now but its runnin much better.

as i was going over everything again i also found out that the po for whatever reason took the aac off :shock: now why anyone would do that is beyond me but po's :roll: you know how some can be.

now i know why my idle gets crazy when i let off from higher rpms hmm go figure.

i also had a vent problem as well but found out the cause of that which was you guessed it the po again, took off the vacumn control under the hood.

again WHYYYYYYYYY????????

some of the strange things people do maybe it was to save weight?? :lol:

well this is my thought today on what po's do to cars that they shouldnt first they get an idea:bonk: then they go threw with it :roll: then this is what i need to do to them :twak: :malebitchslap: