HybridZ

need to look for a z for my lt1, which i don't have either

Guest Wurt

i'm looking for a 70-78 280z. i was looking for a project, cause my civic just doesn't cut it anymore, and i'm sick of fwd. ha, seems like quite a change in interests. anyway, i need to know what to look out for when looking for one of these, besides obvious car problems. i'm not interested in a restored z, but i don't want one in need of restoration. when my civic sells, i will need to have one that runs, so i can get to and from school every other weekend or so. i should have $2-3k. i just decided to get one of these, so my research is a little limited. any help you could give me would be appreciated. you know, where to look, what to watch out for, thanks.

I agree with the statement above, I have been shopping for a Z for a while now and after have (very painfully at times) decided to fly south in the spring to find a nice solid arizona or nevada car. In my experience be very careful when you see advertisements for rust free Z cars. I can't tell you how many times people have told me that there is little to no rust on their car and then I get there I find out that the car LOOKS great but once you crawl underneath its a very different story. I put a pall point pen through the frame rail of a car the owner claimed was rust free!!

Why people leave cars parked on grass for years? :cry:

where are you located?

Im going to be selling my project in about 6 months anyway...but if you want to pick it up i might be convinced to sell it.

its a 73 240Z

NO frame rail rust.

slight floor rust...but with a V* you would want to reinforce the floors anyway.

lemme know.

Hey, wurt.

Let me shoot you some straight dope here. You need to bone up on these cars before you go shooting your daily-driver wad on one. These cars are thirty years old, and require more commitment than your Integra-motored Honda ever did. Don't get me wrong - your ride is probably quite nice, but you are going to screw yourself to the wall if you go purchasing a classic car without knowing LOTS about it. You could easily buy a moneypit if you're not VERY careful.

You're doing the right thing by coming to an enthusiast group FIRST and learning what you can before you buy. Do a site-wide search (only available from the intro page) on buying a Z and see what you find. In short, the advice will go like this: Floors and wheelwells will rust out, dashes crack, weatherseals crumble, and suspension rubber wears out. All can be fixed for relatively low cost, depending on how much labor you're willing to put into it. All can be learned by anyone with moderate intelligence and above average patience. You can do it, if you want to.

Oh, and you won't find any 1970 280 Zs. In the US, Datsun sold only the carbureted 240Z from 1969 to 1973. The 260Z had a troublesome carburetor and sold in 1974. The 280Z had fuel injection, and sold from 1975 to 1978. Now you know a little bit more than you did 10 minutes ago!

Also, this thread should have been posted in the non-tech forum, since it has nothing to do with Chevy V8's. If it disappears, that means that the moderators moved it to where it belongs.

Lurk and learn, my friend!