HybridZ

New 280zx owner with two quick questions.

Thumper

Just wanted to say hi to everyone. Picked up my 83' 280zx n/a yesterday. It has 171k miles on it and runs perfectly :shock: This car has really been taken car of. Well my first question is my rear tail lights are the unibrow type w/ the 280zx logo in the middle. The license plate goes onto the bumper. My question is what 280zx came w/ this type of taillight? I've looked at all the pictures I could and haven't seen anyone with the same taillights as I have (I do not have a camera to take a pic of it). My second question is about the shifter. It seems to me the shifter is angled alittle bit forward. Almost looks like the car is in third when its in neutral. From the 280zx's i have seen in the past i don't think it is suppose to be this way. I've taken the shift boot off and looked at the shaft it does not look to be unnaturally bent. Has anybody experienced a problem like this? TIA

Ted Schmidt

Guest smoov280zx

Actually mine was this way right after i had the transmission rebuilt. It took them about 5 minutes to fix it, i think they said the shifter can go in either way but they just turned it around and now its straight like its supposed to be. The previous owner might have liked it forward, its just personal preference. As for fixing it, i didnt see what they did so i couldnt help you there, maybe someone here can tell you about the shift linkage. good luck.

Mitch

my rear tail lights are the unibrow type w/ the 280zx logo in the middle. The license plate goes onto the bumper. My question is what 280zx came w/ this type of taillight? I've looked at all the pictures I could and haven't seen anyone with the same taillights as I have (I do not have a camera to take a pic of it).

I think you taillights are the same as every body elses that year. The center section with the logo is probably dealer installed or aftermarket. Check to see if your key will reach the hatch lock. It wouldn't on my '83 ZXT with the center piece that said "turbo". I can't imagine Nissan putting something out from the factory like that.

--John B

Wanted to say thanks for all who posted. Found out it was an aftermarket tail light. IMO it is butt ugly. So i removed it. Two problems though the non-orignal paint job was done around the taillight so under it it looks like $h!+. Oh well will get some spray paint and see how good I can get it. Also the factory licence plate light slash key cover is gone so I am going to a junkyard this weekend. On the shifter i was thinking about reversing it. Question though the bolt that holds it down it looks threaded but i looks like all u have to do is slide it out. Is there suppose to be a nut on the end of the bolt? Maybe it fell out and the owner put it back in backwards (doh) Well thanks again.

Ted Schmidt