HybridZ

GTO Ram Air IV

Guest FinalRights

Guest FinalRights

Anyone know the engine code? Also,I was wondering how much weight this would add to a 260z. How hard would it be to get one of these engines in the 260? Does anyone know the cost for install and a good place to find the engine. I'm looking at either doing this engine or a Vg30dett,to keep it Nissan :-D .

Edit: I'd do a search,but I don't know the engine code. :D

Guest Tom Scala

Engine codes for 69 Firebird RAIV are WH -manual trans

XN-auto trans

69GTO XP-auto

WW-manual

70 GTO WA-manual

YC-auto

I couldn't find the 1970 Firebird codes

Cylinder heads should have either 614 or 722 cast on center exhaust ports and all 4 exhaust ports will be round. The RAIV heads alone fetch anywhere from $1500 to $2500 depending on condition. Pretty rare stuff.

Exhaust hookup may be a problem since noone makes a shorty header for round ports and I don't know if stock manifolds will fit. I've been wondering about a Pontiac swap since I have a fresh 68 GTO 400 sitting in my garage. They are a good bit heavier than a small block Chev. I remember someone on this site has a 455 Pontiac Zcar so it can be done.

• 4 months later...
Guest Chris Leathers

You would be money ahead to grab any 400 block & put a pair of edelbrock aluminum heads on them. They're about $1,695 a pair complete and out of the box the will outflow a ported set of RAIV's. Plus with the alum. heads it would be lighter than an iron headed SBC.

I would like to see this swap beings i'm a Pontiac nut myself. I have a Pro Street & Strip 74 GTO and a 63 Catalina. I recently purchased a 78 280 Z and plan to do the LS1 / T56 swap. Just scored a 73 Z also !

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Agreed. Leave the RA IV to a numbers matching restorer. It's too expensive.

Grog built a 350 Pontiac Z and had a site for it. 326-455 are all the same size.

EDIT: Just found the link.

http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=14762&highlight=

Here's Rick's site. btw, the only advantage to using an aluminum intake on a Pontiac is weight. It flows very well up to the stock redline.

http://www.rickeybell.com/