HybridZ

RB 2.4 check this out =)

Guest zline

Hey guys...I havent been on this board for a while...I decided I'd contribute again with a crazy RB20 stroker setup designed to give 2.4L final displacement.

RB20 block

RB20 head is retained with GT-R valve springs

RB26 crankshaft

RB26 connecting rods

Tomei 82mm forged piston set

Nismo Oil & Water pumps

Series V RX7 550cc injectors

as with any stroker buildup, clearancing is required as well as numerous mock ups to check clearances.

This setup with a small turbo yeilds 380hp @ 6500rpm and has a 8250rpm redline, with a large turbo 600hp has been attained with almost no change in redline.

sounds like a very doable and powerful setup. a different route but one that sounds very interesting... do you have a site with information on this setup? you sound like you know of a few people running this..

-Zach

Power Garage Tessta Rossa in Japan pretty much pioneered this, I've seen their diagrams for assembly and what not.

it's quite simple, its just boring and clearancing and then rebuilding as if stock. I'd use nismo main bearings and all new main caps etc., however.

it's also quite popular in Australia.

Basically if you want a big power low budget RB this is for you! I'd run a R33 GTS gearbox behind it..the RB20 box is fine, but the added insurance is nice.

The crank can be had for less than $900 AU, rods $600 AU the pistons from tomei are $1200 for the whole kit, circlips rings etc., etc.,

This is off the subject but Tomei has a L6 carb manifold now =)

alright, the main thing with this is...you need to assemble it with care if you like i can translate and supply you with a diagram for assembly. it's not difficult at all, you need a good contact in australia though...I can prob get you the crank rods and pistons for a little over $3200 which is GREAT considering it'll coem out cheaper int eh end than an RB25/26 with better power output and it already comes with a T3 flange manifold!

Guest Walkingpig

Zline

I am currently trying to source a cheap rb20 front cut

and now i'm goin to keep my eyes open for the parts you talk of.

I would love to see some diagrams that you speak of!

as with any stroker buildup, clearancing is required as well as numerous mock ups to check clearances.

I'm not sure about this process.. what time is involved with it... as its mechanics time which is my money:)

also you say 380HP... is that on a standard rb20 turbo with stock boost or at what settings?

sorry for the nievety, i'm quite new to this stuff

no way...the RB20 comes in at about 210 hp stock

the 2.4L stroker comes in, with some work at about 380ps.

The diagrams will be pretty useless to you if you cant read kanji.

You're lucky you live in AU...talk to your local nissan dealer parts department!

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen a setup like this in Australia, but the car arrived from Japan like that.

The only problem with the setup is it still uses little RB20 valves, which are much smaller than RB25 and RB26 so if you chasing BIG horsepower you might want to change those.

Also the exhaust manifold is for a small T25, and the oil pump isn't big enough if you want to do some circuit sprints. Air flow meter can only flow so much so you'd want to put on a Z32 unit, or change the ECU to MAP after market unit and you can loose the air flow meter. The intake manifold also isn't that big.

By the time you do most of these mods it is cheaper to buy an RB25 or RB26 motor. I was lucky enough to find an RB26 without turbos from a friend whom does a lot of GTRs for only AU$2000 (bargain).

I also run the idea of RB24 by him, and even he said it will end costing too much to get big numbers out of it.

I have seen a setup like this in Australia' date=' but the car arrived from Japan like that.

The only problem with the setup is it still uses little RB20 valves, which are much smaller than RB25 and RB26 so if you chasing BIG horsepower you might want to change those.

Also the exhaust manifold is for a small T25, and the oil pump isn't big enough if you want to do some circuit sprints. Air flow meter can only flow so much so you'd want to put on a Z32 unit, or change the ECU to MAP after market unit and you can loose the air flow meter. The intake manifold also isn't that big.

By the time you do most of these mods it is cheaper to buy an RB25 or RB26 motor. I was lucky enough to find an RB26 without turbos from a friend whom does a lot of GTRs for only AU$2000 (bargain).

I also run the idea of RB24 by him, and even he said it will end costing

too much to get big numbers out of it.[/quote']

I've had good luck with it. basically I just use other oilpump front covers from other RB engines for better oiling as well as GT-R springs and enlarged valves

• 2 weeks later...
Guest FinalRights

Kinda off subject,kinda not. Which engine would have a higher hp/tq roof? The rb20det stroked to 2.4l or an l28et stroked to 3.1l? I've seen costum twin turbo set-ups for the L28et,the only thing I wish was there was a dohc swap. :cry:

A DOHC SET-UP FOR A L28?? yeah, I wish someone would come up with a decently priced alternative using some other nissan 4 cylinder heads so that you could get the thing with factory parts. :twisted: .... muahahahaha!! now, this may be feasible if only there was a DOHC head readily available that will fit on a L20B motor..... oh wait, there is! http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40742 now, that thread is useless without this thread....... http://www.malvernracing.com/php-bin/phorum/read.php?f=6&i=102&t=1&PHPSESSID=6d60c3a5aa7332138bde87fd7043986d have fun with this one. I knwo I will as soon as I find someone that can heliarc aluminum fiarly well.

McAdam

• 2 months later...

well, it all depends on how much you know about L series motors. the L series 6 cylinder motors are basically L 4 cylinders that have been cut in half and had 2 more cylinders added to the middle. This is quite evident when you look at the intake manifolds on an L28 vs an L20b. when L20B people want injection manifolds, they take an L28 manifold, cut out the middle 2 cylinders and the re-weld the halves togethor. and it pretty much bolts on.

The L series 4 and 6 cylinder engines share very similar coolant and oil flow paths. hell, an L20B head gasket will pretty much match up hole for hole to an L28 gasket. I've had the 2 side by side. other than the fact its 2 cylinders short, its spot on. so, now that we know this, whats to stop someone from taking a KA24DE head (or 2 I guess) cutting it in half, then sticking 2 more middle cylinders inbetween the half and re-welding the whole thing back togethor? other than some very excellent heliarc skills being needed, some machining work on the heads and custom camshafts, nothing really.. I bet you could do this and come in for under 1/4 the price of the O.S. Giken head and everything on the head would be stock nissan, except for the valve covers, camshafts and manifolds.

McAdam

yes they do make carb intakes.

Depending on the carb, the price changes.

44PHH mikuni / 45DCOE Weber = Y45,000

50PHH mikuni / 48DCOE Weber = Y55,000

comes with:

manifold

linkage

carb insulator

carb insulator gasket

misc bolst and nuts to make it work