HybridZ

Well, I went and did it

Guest CarGuyChuck

Guest CarGuyChuck

My 79 280ZX has been sitting for about the last month, because I gutted it so it's no fun to drive anymore. I tried to crank it, and realized the engine was shot, so for $50 I got myself a 302. I was basically just saying hi to everyone, and going to ask a few quick questions. I tried search, but these topics aren't covered too much. This message board software and me don't really get along that well :) Anyway, what I wanted to know is: 1) I have the old iron block, because I know the engine is old, and I was wondering what that does for weight distribution? I heard it's almost 50/50 with a V8, but I assumed that was with a newer motor. also 2) How complicated is it going to be to get A/C in my car once the swap is complete? I don't have it now in the ZX anyway, but I would like to have it since I'll be moving to Miami eventually. Anyways, I hope to get some good advice from everyone, and nice to meet y'all.

Hi Chuck,

I can't remember who on this forum is starting this same swap into a ZX, but perhaps he will see this post and speak up. In the mean time, good luck and let us know how your project is progressing. The ZX swap, especially with a Ford, is pretty rare so document as much of the process as is possible. Weight distribution figures for this swap may be a bit different than with the Z, but because of the larger rear overhang on the ZX (increased safety mandate for gas tank protection), and the shorter hood, my guess is that 50/50 is possible, if not a little lighter than that on the front. The SBF is very comparable in weight to the L6.

• 3 months later...
Guest dpiatkin

the ford 302 in ALUMINUM trim(ie; manifold, heads etc...) is supposed to be around 450 lbs. about 40-50 lbs. lighter than the stock 6 banger...

If you do this swap please please document it FULLY, especialy any snags you run into !! I ask because I also have a 1979 280ZX and am planning a swap using a 302 out of a '91 HO mustang and the fire wall issue and the steering rack issues have me a little worried ?!

Any and all help for those of us who have the "ZX" models concerning this swap would be great !!!!!!!!

Good luck and remember to take picture !!! :D:!: