HybridZ

flares with MSA aero II kit

Guest 400HP280z

Guest 400HP280z

i'm getting the aero II kit and the BRE spoiler. i am also wanting fender flares. my question is will the ZG flares fit or do i need a different style of flares to work with that kit?

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

I think the zg flares would clash with the aero kit.

The aero kit is really smooth, and well, aero, a little squared off at points and such..

aero kit is usually painted body color, zg classic look is black or anthracite creating a bolder contrast with the rest of the body. I think the car would look weird with these two clashing looks, but maybe in a good way, its just a design clash to me. Regular bubble molded in flares would work better and exentuate the design of both IMO.

I haven't been coming here or posting very much since the L6 discrimination started - Just happened to cruise through this forum.

My Arizona Z Car 1-piece front end on the '77ZT originally had the exact shape of the MSA Aero Kit's spoiler - (My '78 daily driver has that kit on it - see the "model car" on my site.) and then I bonded on and molded in the MSA IMSA flares. The MSA side skirts were modified to make the "kick out" sections to mate with the flares.

This was my first attempt at fiberglass work and took a lot of time doing and redoing stuff. It's still far from perfect.

I really think the MSA kit does a good job of updating the Z's styling.

Arizona ZCar no longer makes fiberglass pieces - maybe a good thing because their stuff was not of very good quality. Lots of reworking required to make the piece fit.

I didn't tell all I know above about the MSA kit - I had another car (The light blue car on my site doesn't have flares) with flares and the MSA spoiler/valence and had to trim the valence/ airdam where they met the flares. Pretty simple to do and looked good. Like I said before, the side skirts have to be modified to fit and blend well with IMSA flares, and that's the major work involved.

Guest 400HP280z

thanks for the replies.

FL327.... if i do the ZG flares with the aero kit the flares will be the same color as the rest of the car. the whole car will be one color mirrors, bumpers everything. i'm also sanding and painting the chrome around all the windows black.

SPEEDER.... i love the look of your Z. awesome work. how do you like your rear spoiler? i'm thinking of it or a whaletail type.

I got the Kaminari wing with the idea of making the foil adjustable in case I need to tune aerodynamics when (hopefully some day) I run the Silver State Challenge. I've had the car up to ~140 or so and stability is pretty good.

I've always liked the look of that spoiler, even if it has a somewhat "ricey" appearance.

I don't know if those are made any more, either. I think that most of my car's body is obsolete!