HybridZ

Clicking relay ?

MAYHEM

I have been working on my "77 280z getting some bugs out it. The last time it was driven was in 99. I have gotten the car to run pretty good, clean all my sensor connections and so forth . Yesterday for the first time I disconnected the ECU harness. There was alittle corrosion that I cleaned up, then I spayed it down with claener and use di-electiic grease. Now the problem.... I think. The car runs a tiny bit rougher now and I here a clicking sound from the passanger side compartment. It's cycles ever 5-6 seconds. And I hear my fuel pump run up with it. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump relay. Is it normal to cycle like that? At idle , with the igntion on engine and just driving all the time. What's up?

P.S. I did a search and was unable to narrow it down.

OK I found out that the relay that is clicking is the timer relay over the fuse box ( passenger compartment). When it clicks I hear the fuel pump run. Why is it doing it. Is the ignition switch or ignition relay shooting power to it? In the schematics I see they are tied together. But why is it getting power and running the fuel pump. Anyone have a idea? Keep in mind the car runs with no problem. Normal or is something tak'in a dump?

ive had this same problem, but it evolved into no ignition spark and no power to the fuel pump.

now this is on a l20et in a skyline. so i would presumne they are slightly diffrent. but on the rear parcel tray, (which you guys dont have) there is a box bolted to it called Electronic Contoll System box or something like that. my problem ended up to be a bad g round on it.

I found this I was having the same problem. The problem is your fuse box has corrosion. Pull it out and from the back pop the terminals out. Do this to each wire sanding it with 40 grit sand paper on the inside until it completely looks like brass again. It takes about 2 hours and will solve many electrical problems.