HybridZ

302 swap into 87 300zx, few fitting questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

K my father just bought a 68 mustang fastback and recieved a complementary parts car.. it has a low mileage 302 engine with BOSS heads, there is nothing wrong with the engine and it runs strong... also there is a C4 tranny with it.. now im thinkin abou throwing these into my 87 300zx.. im just wondering though, will it fit? i know the engine will but will i be able to use the C4 tranny? (of course takin slight modifications into mind but will i have to go to drastic mesures to work this??)

I can't see any obvious problems here. The "Boss" heads will be a bit difficult in exhaust manifold options. Do you know for sure they are Boss heads, or just Cleveland heads. Even though they look wider than the Windsor heads, the exhaust exits parallel to the deck plane (downward) instead of straight out to the side. This swap in a ZX is rare, but becoming increasingly more popular as several recent posts have eluded to.

If they really are Boss heads, sell them, and buy some aftermarket aluminum heads(Edelbrock, Canfield, AFR). The aftermarket heads will flow much better(particularly on the exhaust side), will be much lighter, will provide more space, and will be easier to find headers for.

If they are Boss heads you can get nearly the price of a set of aluminum heads by selling them. The intake will also have to be sold and replaced.