HybridZ

75 280Z SBC with HOLLEY 144 BLOWER

My baby is up and running- 355 C.I.D. SBC that was balanced and blueprinted. HOLLEY 700 CFM DP carb. with a HOLLEY 144 POWER CHARGER at 6 psi. MSD-6BTM Racing Control Unit, Blaster SS Coil, and Pro-Billet Distr. Race prepped Turbo 350 Transmission. We started this conversion in APRIL and finished it TO THIS POINT in SEPT. Dyno run was 281 hprw and 320 ft. lbs. I still have stock rear end at this time. Street use only....... a few changes would improve Dyno figures/ maybe next year!!!!!!! A few pictures are in the HybridZ Picture Gallery. I have a lot more of the work in process so e-mail me or I can answer any questions about my interesting project. THANKS

THANKS COMP. RATIO is 8.5 to 1. Has forged steel crankshaft 3.480 stroke,forged TRW blower pistons 4.030, ENGLE custom hydraulic roller camshaft, and special 441 Chevy heads/ported and polished. Plasma-moly rings/stainless valves/bronze guides/hardened exhaust seats/Z28 springs. Trans has 2200 stall conv./ furnaced brazed/balanced with TORRINGTON bearings/ RAYBESTOS blue metallic clutches/ Trans-go shift kit

Good eye!!!! Yes, I purchased the car on e-bay in DEC. 02 and it was delv. in JAN. from the seller, who lives in TEXAS. In APRIL 03 started the replacment of the trans. and engine. All major comp. in the engine bay were replaced and a blower, with it's accessories, was added to the new engine. This was completed in SEPT. I have not touched the exterior as I bought it as it looks now. As to dyno figures the original headers and restricted exhaust were not changed and a very mild cam was used. The new engine has 500+ miles on it now and the HONDA'S ARE NERVOUS!!! :twisted:

We used a 2in. by 11in. alumn. bracket welded to the radiator and 2 bolts to the frame on each side. CALIFORNIA STREET MACHINE did the engine build and ADVANCED DYNO TECHNOLOGIES,INC. did the dyno chassis pulls and air/fuel mixture. They also did the custom wiring, fab. and assm., and carb tunning/timming !!!! :D:D:D They are located in SUISUN CITY,CA.

Nice looking install!!

I think your HP numbers are right on target. 281 hp and 320 ft lb will make your car move very well.

From my calculations.....

281 hp and 320 ft lb at the wheels is 351 hp and 400 ft lb at the crank (20% loss in a chevy).

Six psi of boost will give an engine 1.408 more HP. 1.408 = ((6 + 14.7)/14.7). Therefore your engine would make 250 hp and 285 ft lb without the blower which is about right for a mild cammed 350 with low compression.

I think you wull need more boost to get the power up. 10 psi of boost will give 1.68 times more HP and torque (420 hp and 480 ft lb).

A set of 195 cc AFR heads will also increase hp over stock ported heads. You might get 40 or 50 hp more.

Do a search on the web for Sanderson headers. They make a set for the small block that look like Block Hugger Headers but the tubes continue along the block and turn at the oil pan to form full length headers that will fit a Z V8 conversion.

THANKS for your comment and info!! :lol: I've posted a pic. in my Personal Gallery of a old engine dyno run from APR. 03 and compared it to the new engine dyno run in SEPT. O3. It is hitting around 320 ft. lbs. by 3400 rpms. In my current configeration it is leaving the line fast enough for me at this time. 8) The HONDA'S are really NEROUS NOW!! :twisted:

Guest Anonymous

Sorry to hyjack a thread but

Do a search on the web for Sanderson headers. They make a set for the small block that look like Block Hugger Headers but the tubes continue along the block and turn at the oil pan to form full length headers that will fit a Z V8 conversion

I want to see aset on a Z or at least talk to some ne that has done it. Mark