HybridZ

need help with 4 speed gm "rockcrusher" tranny

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

my dad and i are putting a 350 vortec in my 83 280zx turbo. we want to put a gm "rockcrusher" tranny in it but we do not know how to set the tranny to run off of the clutch master cylinder already in there. i dont want to do the swap without the 4 speed. i have to have a 4 speed. long story that ends with my wife slamming my last standard car into a pole (so she wont ever drive another standard). if you have any information or could point me in the right direction i would be very greatful.

Guest greimann

You can't realistically use the Datsun clutch master, it is the wrong size for any slave that you use for a Chevy clutch. Below is a long topic that explains the use of a Hydraulic release bearing. It is not the only option, but it is a technically sound one: http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=18219&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

For the ZX you will also need to make an adapter like this to mount the Wilwood master to the angled bolt pattern on the firewall:

clutchmaster2.jpg

Welcome to hybrid Rod. :D

The M22 (or is it the 21?) is a tough tranny but have you considered a 5 speed, or even a 6 speed? Of course, it depends what you are going to do with the car, but for hyway crusing an overdrive tranny makes life much nicer in the Z car.

Lakewood and McLeod both make scattershields that have the canted T5 pattern as well as the conventional 4 speed pattern on them. Then you can use the T5 throwout arm and slave cylinder the same way guys that do the T5 make it work. Check the JTR manual. Another option is a hydraulic throwout bearing. Either way, I still recommend the explosion proof bellhousing.

Be careful buying so called "Rock Crusher" tranny as less than 1% of all Muncies fit that description, but seems that about 75% of magazine cars are equipped that way. Hmmmm. Don't pay a $1000 for a $300 tranny!

Another option is a brand new Richmond T-10 4 speed which can be had with 3 different optional ratios for about $1200. IMO, the T10 is a better transmission and the new ones have a synchronized reverse gear even. You get the 26 spline input and the 40 spline output. Only 1 or 2 years of the Rockcrusher had that combo. Most were 10 and 32(? whatever the smaller GM output is) spline.