HybridZ

9" ford info or any narrowed rear end info

Guest Blazer406

Guest Blazer406

I am contemplating trying to install a narrowed 9" ford rear and mini-tubbing my '73 240Z. Has anyone on the board done this?

Mike kZ has got my heart pumping on installing a narrowed rear end. His pics appear to me that I could fab and do the whole thing myself. I have access to all the neceaasry tools and I can weld good as long as it is not overhead.......

How much weight difference is there between a R200 complete rear setup and a setup like Mike kZ is running with a coil-over narrowed Chevy 12 bolt?

How will a coil-over equipped narowed solid axle drive like on the street?

All other things equal (tire sizes and gear ratios...... )how does a solid axle hook compared to the independant rear?

I did fab everything myself. Not sure what the weight difference is, I think it's about the same. It drives great on the street. So far with drag radials I'm not hooking up yet. Next step will be drag slicks! , the good thing about it is I don't worry about breaking anything.

Here is an old post, maybe it will help:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6870&highlight=balck+green+stripes+z+whos

Guest Blazer406
So far with drag radials I'm not hooking up yet

I never had any luck with the drag radials on my S10 Blazer. I absolutely love my MT ET Streets. I think they are real racing slicks with a few grooves cut in them.

• 3 months later...

scottie,

Your talking suspention right? what could he do to fix it? if of course he is unleoading too quickly? Soften teh suspention? change setting on teh bars?

I'm getting so damn close to getting my car in teh shop to start cutting and welding i can taste it ;>

I am contemplating trying to install a narrowed 9" ford rear and mini-tubbing my '73 240Z. Has anyone on the board done this?

How will a coil-over equipped narowed solid axle drive like on the street?

I am running a Ford 9" in my 72 Z with Twin Turbo 383 Chevy power. My Z has been back-halved with mini-tubs. Tires are 12 " wide Hoosier Street Slicks and they hook ( some of the time ).

The key to a smooth ride with this setup is the adjustable shocks. On the street I adjust them to be soft and for drag racing I turn the adjustment knob to a hard setting. The adjustment is easy and only takes a few seconds.

Another important factor necessary to hook up the tires under load is the proper setting of the 4-link on the 9". I'm continuing to experiment with different settings and hope to one day get it just right.

If you drag race your Z in the 10 second or faster bracket you need a solid rear axle :!::!:

Hanns