HybridZ

New to the board

Just wanted to say Hi, and share a little story :P I have a 74 260z with a 97 LT1, just completed 3 weeks ago. My first race was againist my good Friend that I work with who has a 405hp ZO6. I thought he was going to hand my a$$ to me, but no I beat him buy at least a car :shock:

I drive this car everday to work and except for the brakes :cry: its a beatiful and fun car to drive. If I can help anyone in the area, with there swap, I'd gladly donate my notes and what ever skill I may have to them.

And thanks guys and gals for the info you all have posted :D

Guest 400HP280z

welcome. i'm about to start my LT1/260 conversion. i live in tucson, where are you? would love to see your car in action. is your motor stock?

Guest Anonymous

ive been thinking about doing a v8 conversion on a z. right now i have a 78 with a 280zx engine and tranny. i was thinking about doing an LT1. i was just wondering how tough it was. will everything bolt right up is there alot of modifying you have to do for just the engine swap. just looking for any help i can get. thanks

Guest 400HP280z

from the info i've gathered, its not to much more detailed than a carbv8 swap. you need a fi gas tank(which you have in the 78 ), a lt1 pcm and harness, and a program like tunercat or LT1edit to reflash and customize your PCM. i also have heard that the a/c gets in the way of the frame rail so you have to modify a pully so the serpentine belt system still operates correctly. the VATS needs to be disabled and a few other things are done to tweek the lt1.

i have a 94 camaro that im going to use for my 260Z so i have all the little parts that are forgotten. i'm just not sure if i want to use a prefectly good Z28 as a donor.

Thanks for the warm welcome :D

I live in Phoenix(Glendale) AZ, and work at Scotsdale Jaguar

The engine is bone stock from what I know about the motor. I bought it from AMP here in Phoenix out of a 97 Firebird. I made my own wiring harness(wouldn't suggest trying this if you don't have a lot of knowledge with computers and cars) and used JTR setback mount kit. The trans is the stock 4L60E auto out of the Firebird, with caprice classic tailhousing.

I still have the stock R180 rearend for now, upgrading to a R200 with Quaife later. If I had to do it over I would have built a carb 400 sbc

instead (less headache), actually I'm currently looking to do a swap with a sbc 400 in a 1986 Jaguar XJ sedan.

dispell some rumors

1. The LT1's have VAT's (vehicle anti-theft module) buy one from painless wiring(its expense but worth it)

2. If you do the JTR setback conversion FOLLOW THERE DIRECTIONS especially the setting up the engine bay for install.

3. Its not a stright drop in (don't plain for to be easy)

4. It may look cheap on paper, but its not (the nickle and dime stuff is going to kill you trust me :evil: )

5. THE DAY YOU FIRE THE ENGINE UP IS BEYOND FEELING (you'll have perma smile for at least a week or two :cheers:

I have some install picks I'll be posting later, and no there not pretty :2thumbs:

2. If you do the JTR setback conversion FOLLOW THERE DIRECTIONS especially the setting up the engine bay for install.

3. Its not a stright drop in (don't plain for to be easy)

4. It may look cheap on paper, but its not (the nickle and dime stuff is going to kill you trust me )

5. THE DAY YOU FIRE THE ENGINE UP IS BEYOND FEELING (you'll have perma smile for at least a week or two

Great advice, especially number 4. Also, #6 should be: set up your plan and stick with it. Otherwise, these things get out of control. I'm still waiting for #5 because of #6.

No its on 68th and McDowell, its a Jag, Land Rover, Ferrari, Bently, Rolls, and Maserati dealership.

I'm only going to be in AZ tell the 15th of Oct, I have to go to Jag school for 5Months in Florida :cry: . But your more than welcome to come look at it.

Guest Rhettdude1

I live in Peoria just down the street form you dudes. I have a 280z with a TPI 350, I would love to check out your creations. I just sold a LT1 ( 95 X-Police car), I was going to put in my Z but went with the TPI, I am still thinking about the doing the swap. But for now the TPI 350 is working very well.

Guest Rhettdude1

Bill,

Small world.. Mark is a cool dude, they did get rid of the yellow Eclipse and moved up to the Vette. I work at Luke and live on 87th and Olive. Mark told me about somebody who had a Z that wanted to do the V8 thing. I am thinking now it was you. It really is a small world.

Yep :) That's me. I lost his phone number and email, but he wanted to introduce me to you and your Z since you live so close.

If you don't mind, I'd like to chat with you live sometime and possibly look at your Z just to get an idea of what else I need to get...

I have at the moment a 350 block/327 heads, carb, intake (EGR), TH350trans, and maybe a few other little odds and ends...

I finally got to see a V8 Z IRL (In Real Life)...and...boy, did I pick the right one to see!!

Yeah...I'm hooked.

For those that are reading this I went and checked out Rhett's 77 280Z tonight...it has a 350TPI setup running through vette style sidepipes...it's freshly painted (exact same color as mine as a matter of fact), has a cowl hood, molded in flairs/spoiler, shaved emblems, etc...he's definitely got the muscle car look down and the muscle car sound to go with it.

Excuse me while I spend some more alone time in the bathroom thinking about it...