HybridZ

Found a Z, but have title questions

Phyte

I found a decent Z, but the person that has it never transferred the title into his name. He says he has all the docs to get the title from Oregan including a bill of sale to him. I called the TX dept of trans and they told me he can't legally sale the car because its not registered in his name. Is there an easy way of getting the title in my name, or will he have to get it in his name first, then sale it to me. I'm sure he won't do that because he'll have to pay taxes on it like he should of in the first place. Options, thoughts?

Phyte

I don't know about Texas, but I did this in Oregon without a problem.

The guy I bought my 280Z from had never changed the title to his name. He had the original title signed-off by owner #1 and a hand-written bill of sale from #1 to #2.

#2 wrote a bill of sale to me and gave me the signed-off title. I took it all to the DMV and they didn't even blink. I have the car in my name now.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

the only way you can purchase the car if the title is not in his name is if it is signed off by the owner that is on the title. if he doesnt have a title with the title-owner's signature on it for sale then he cannot sell it, that would be considered stolen. (and receiving stolen property is not a fun situation either)

I did just about the same thing when I bought my Z in Houston, and it brought me no end of troubles. It took over a year to get the title transferred into my name, and if I had it all to do over again, I wouldn't.

Don't trust ANYONE when they tell you you won't need the current title in your hand and SIGNED by the person listed on the front. If the seller does not have a clear title, don't buy the car! If you're really desperate to own this car, give him earnest money. Write them a 30 day post-dated $100 check for the downpayment until they can deliver the title. Write in the 'note' area, "downpayment on (vin#), balance due $X. Delivery due by (date 30 days later)" If he deposits the check, it's a legal acceptance of the terms. If he doesn't cash it, he chickened out and the deal was shady. You might lose your $100 if he steals it and disappears, but in that case it was better than buying an entire stolen car, wasn't it? It's a gamble any way you look at it. Having title in hand is the only way to completely protect your interests.

There are dozens of Z's in the Houston metropolitan area for sale. Is this one worth the risk?

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

I called the tax accessor again and they said stay far away! You mentioned Z's for sale in Houston? Can you get some information for me? I've been looking everywhere for 240's in TX, but can't find any! I've tried the forsale forum here and classiczcar. Also collectorcartrader.com. Where else can I look?

Phyte

Phyte, they're out there if you're willing to be industrious. Since AutoTrader now considers them "collectable" the owners are asking double what they did two years ago. They used to be old junkers, now they're potentially collectable. Go figure.

The newspaper is one of your best sources, but since listings typically change every 3 days, you have to stay on top of it. Folks who don't know what they're worth typically post in the newspaper. I'm sure you've already pursued this avenue, though.

Go IN PERSON to all the enthusiast shops in the area that do work on Z's. Chat up the owner/mechanics for five minutes, and if they're friendly bring them a dozen donuts for their trouble. They'll know where there are viable cars for sale.

Become a member of the local Z club. Tell the whole group what you're interested in, and pass out cards with your numbers. Fanatics love nothing better than sucking another neophyte into the cult, and then you'll have dozens of folks looking in every nook and cranny for your car. Plus you'll meet some really neat folks in the process!

Let your friends and family know you're looking. Tell your co-workers, church folks, people on the bus, etc. Go to tote-the-note lots in the bad parts of town. Find out when your local police department has a public auction. My car came to the previous owner through a police auction, and only cost her $200. I found the car on Zcar.com after about a month of casual looking. Trust me - Z's ARE out there, and you'll only see about 25% of them in the obvious places.