HybridZ

240Z bumpers on a 280Z??

KG78Z

I was wondering what was involved in putting bumpers from a 240Z on my 280Z. I have spied a couple of possible donor cars so I got to wondering what all was involved. Does anone who has done this swap have a link to a page deatiling what I will need to do? Thanks for the help.

KG78Z

I just finished sending out a few sets of brackets for it, and probably wont do it again since they are extremely simple to make, and they werent as strong as I can make them now I have a template to work off from.

I do have one question---do 77-78 bumpers have the same mounting points for the two hooks as the 75-76??? The next set that I would be making are going to use the tow hook mounting bracket to hold the bumper on the rear, the front will be same-possibly using modified and shortened 73 bumper brackets.

I gutted the front OEM 5mph shock cylinders on my 280Z and used a stock '72 bumper with brackets which I inserted into the empty cylinders using "J" bolts to retain the early brackets by tensioning these J bolts (exiting the rear of the cylinders) by tightenning locknuts fitted to them. When the early bumper was fitting well to the car I spot welded the '72 bracket where it inserted into the bumper shock cylinders of the 280Z. On the rear bumper, as I recall, I used '72 bumper and brackets and drilled the rear valance to match the odd holes (some of the 280Z pre-existng holes line up with the '72 brackets and others need to be created). Essentially you recreate what the '72 240 Z had there. DAW

On my old 75, I split the rear '72 brackets and welded the remainder of each to the tow hook pads on each side. The mounts at the ends of the bumbers were bolted through the recess in the fenders.

On the front, I inserted the stock '72 bracket into the frame recess, replacing the bumper shocks and fastened in place with the same bolt which held the bumper shock. The ends again were bolted though the fenders. Very secure from a looks standpoint. If hit, it would collapse.

ecp48

PS, when the crewcab duelly GMC hit it in the rear, it acted like tinfoil, but it sure looked nice for a couple of years!