HybridZ

T56 Tranny options

Guest plainswolf

Guest plainswolf

Will a T56 transmission bolt right up to a non-LS1 Chevy small block? I'm not sure the normal spline count for either the transmission or engine..

This question has been dogging me for awhile now.

Thanks!

A quick search will turn up lots of info on this question. The short answer is a T56 from a '93 to '97 LT1 will bolt up to older SBCs. However, you will need a special flywheel (they're available from a few places) and the newer clutch setup. The '98 and later T56 will not bolt up directly to the older style SBC.

There is a company called Weir Hotrod Products that makes custom bell housings that can mate either style T56 to the older style blocks.

Do a search in the drivetrain section using 'T56' or 'T-56' and you should find lots of good information.

To aid your search on the net, try McLeod and Centerforce for clutches. Pay attention to the one vs two piece rear main seals as well as the tooth count on the flywheel I think.

My T-56 is using the standard bellhousing so check before you buy anything you might not need. Mike Kelly also had an article on the installation which was great back when there was no info. Check it out for clutch slave and master cylinder line issues.

Owen