HybridZ

NO WASHER FLUID=PUMP?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I JUST GOT MY USED 83 280ZX TURBO, AND OF COURSE, THERE'S NO OUTPUT FROM THE WASHER JETS..I DON'T HEAR ANY SOUND AND THERE'S FLUID, SO I ASSUME IT'S THE WASHER PUMP.

ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD USED SOURCE FOR THIS? HOW MUCH SHOULD THEY COST? HOW DOES ONE REMOVE/REPLACE THE UNIT? IS IT THE SAME ONE FOR MY CAR, WHICH ALSO HAS HEADLAMP WASHERS?

THANKS

JOHN

• 4 weeks later...

Josh,

I'm not to familiar w/the ZX's, but usually the washer pump on the import cars are basically aftermarket type pumps.

First you need to make sure you are getting electricity to your washer pump. One you have determined if you pump is getting electricity-check the ground wire. If your ground is good, and your pump is also getting electricity-then most likely your washer pump motor is defective.

I would think the pump for your head light buckets would be separate from your windshield washer pump.

You need to look up your wdshld wshr pmp in a manual & identify if it is integral to your washer bottle or mounted separate of your washer bottle.

There are only a few different types of wshld wshr pmps. Once you have identified your style pump, remove it and take it w/you to your nearest parts store. You may find an exact replacement.

If there are no factory replacements then you will have to settle w/an aftermarket wsher pmp. Usually you will find an aftermarket style pump that can be wired directly in to your system.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Victoria British has pumps for sale and they are pretty cheap. First though clean the contacts that are on the pump. They tend to corrode fast and with a good cleaning it could get your pump to work. Otherwise they are easy and cheap to replace. Really any pump will work that you get at a parts store. It just might require a little more custome mounting.

Good luck

A quick test would be to switch the rear wiper pump with the windshield pump (if you have a rear wiper!). I did this on one of my 280zx's and it worked for a quick fix.. you loose the ability to wash the rear window though. If I remember corectly, the fluid jug/reservoir under the hood has both these pumps attached to it.. and they are identical units. It should just slide up and out of the engine bay, but dont pull too hard on it cause the rubber hoses will pop of and you'll have a mess dribbling out on your engine bay! (personal experiance!) Hope this helps