HybridZ

Powdercoating suspension Questions.

The tool and die shop I work for recently bought a powdercoating setup, I get free use of it and only have to supply my own powder.

I have a couple extra sets of suspension sitting around and am going to sandblast and powdercoat one of the extra sets and possibly do a coilover setup at the same time.

My questions were:

1. Should I leave the bushing surfaces as clean metal? Will powdercoating this area cause the suspension bushings (planning on poly) to bind?

2. The suspension mating surfaces, should they be left bare? Will coating them throw stuff out of alignment?

3. Suggestions on colors? Right now im thinking dark grey, or dark blue. I want it to make oil/bad stuff visible, but not be too flashy.

The tool and die shop I work for recently bought a powdercoating setup, I get free use of it and only have to supply my own powder.

You get on your hands and knees and thank God you can do this.

My questions were:

1. Should I leave the bushing surfaces as clean metal? Will powdercoating this area cause the suspension bushings (planning on poly) to bind?

YES! Leave them as clean metal--there is special tape you can use to shield this part.

2. The suspension mating surfaces, should they be left bare? Will coating them throw stuff out of alignment?

Not sure, check if they are painted already or bare--that would give a clue.

3. Suggestions on colors? Right now im thinking dark grey, or dark blue. I want it to make oil/bad stuff visible, but not be too flashy.

Bright is racy, dark is not. Either one can be practical; depends on how you think. If you are spending the time and money(very little in your case), come up with a color scheme that rocks. You can do suspension in two to three colors for a truly great overall effect. Check the web for all sorts of suspension.

Davy

make sure you mask off any bolt or nut threads also. if you don't, not only will you have to use a tap and die on them, you'll probably destroy the tap and die in the process. powder coatings are very hard to remove from unwanted places.

my dad owns one of the biggest powdercoating shops in texas. I would reccomend geting everything tat can be sandblasted sandblasted. the company that makes the masking tape you have to ues is called shercon, the stuff is green and totally heat resistant. If you dont have EVERYTHING down to bare metal you will get drip and/or bubble. and you cannot sandblast powdercoating off, you can either grind it off or have it chemically/salt stripped off. MAKE SURE YOU DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME SPARE NO PREP TIME